IBM

www.ibm.com
  www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Former Finance Analyst - Sydney

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Sydney (Australia)
Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Big brand name on the CV which helped me in getting to my senior position now otherwise nothing else!

Cons

- Lack of career progression - lack of development and training invested in staff other than to throw people in the deep end
- Politics
- Team leaders takes credit for the their subordinates hard work - lack of transparency in measuring staff's performance and hence inability to reward staff (bonus is a few hundred dollars max)
- bottom line profit is a priority to this company rather than their own employees - this is evident through their extreme cost cutting measures such as removing tea and coffee from the kitchens. Cost cutting seems to be the main solution rather than growth
- People - due to the long length of service of many of the employees - there is a culture of not being open to change. This is due to the lack of investment in the development of staff as noted above
- graduate program is a joke - lack of rotation and graduates are pigeon holed into a role
- lack of consistency in models and methods used by various staff in the same role/job title
- unwritten/unspoken expectation to work from home/offsite when employee is sick or on leave
- lack of work life balance

Invest in your people. Cost cutting is also not the solution to your woes.

12362 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Organized anarchy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

There still are technically very strong and dedicated employees from whom we can learn a lot. IBM also provides resources and more importantly "time" to learn while on job.

Cons

It's an anarchy - you cannot expect a timeline for your growth. Talented employees keep leaving.

Great learning experience, but.....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Copenhagen (Denmark)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Copenhagen (Denmark)

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a good place to learn, have challenging jobs which allow you to constantly be learning new skills and developing yourself. The salary is OK and management at least in Denmark (where I am based) is trying not to 'squeeze' people too much so that we still have some sort of decent work/life balance (even though for some types of jobs - eg sales and service management - the culture can be a turn and burn/high pressure environment).

Cons

IBM is providing products and services customers don't believe in any more: as a result business is not good any longer and the company is in trouble: everybody here is worried about being downsized and we lived in constant fear of losing our jobs.
    IBM is very hierarchical and bureaucratic: free spirits might be at odds with the culture of the organization and are unlikely to be happy or successful in IBM. When it comes to career prospects, once you decide that you don't want to be one of the billion managers this company has (!!), and you end up outgrowing your current job, you'll find out that there is no room for you to be promoted or take on more responsibility.

Many employees in IBM don't agree with the corporate culture or the direction the company is headed any more. We need to go back to giving the customers what they want and not what IBM thinks they want. Outsourcing so many jobs and functions has negatively impacted Customer Satisfaction.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM