IBM

www.ibm.com
  www.ibm.com
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Its all about politics...

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work from home whenever you need to
flexible hours (10 to 6, etc)
lots of vacation

Cons

Horrible culture. Lots of politics. Hard to learn things that actually matter outside of IBM. Lotus Notes is the worst email software ever designed. Lenovos suck too. Compensation is below industry norm. Everybody is "Blue washed". Lots of people who are not qualified for their jobs.

Let us use open source technology. Stop making crappy software like Lotus notes. Hire from top engineering schools like Stanford and start compensating more.

12361 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Rudderless and facing headwinds

Former Employee - Product Management
    Former Employee - Product Management

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very nice people. Flexible environment. Amazing access to large brands.

Cons

SWG leadership has no vision. I was acquired in the Smarter Commerce investment in 2010. Investments lacked any coordination, leaving too many competing agendas and software products. IBMers of 25+ years were more worried about protecting their careers than developing a lasting business.

IBM removed cups, water coolers, and coffee. Then came the sweeping 401k change -- moving the company contribution to the last paycheck of the year. They would not pay the contribution EVEN if they let you go during an RIF/ or in IBM speak Resource Action.

Terrible culture - eroding or non existent benefits which is either leading or following the brand to toilet.

Retire. Bring in fresh blood to reinvigorate the company. BTW - I used to not blame Ginni because this entire implosion is due to Palmisano's hand with the 2015 plan. That being said, she has shown no leadership to alter course and make the company her's.

I am pretty sure I am less intelligent thanks to my time at IBM

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Just about the only pro is the benefits are decent and they are very flexible about working from home.

Cons

They only match 401k at the end of the year, if you leave before the end of the year you don't get your match.
    No career growth opportunities.
    No training.
    No bonuses
    No raises.
    Constant layoffs, always wondering if you will be hit by the next one.

Stop treating employees like slave labor. Pay a decent wage and offer training and advancement opportunities.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM