IBM

Ok place to work.

Current Employee - Manager in Texas City, TX
Current Employee - Manager in Texas City, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Good number of SAP projects...strcutured company....human policies are good...

Cons

Competitiveness in market and the way SAP project are sold are putting too much of pressure on cosultants..

Change the way you treat employees and concentrate on worklife balance..

13245 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Consultant

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM

Pros

Resume booster
    High starting salary
    Work Experience

Cons

Horrible senior managment
    Job security sucks
    No pay increases
    Lack of promotions
    Ego driven co-workers
    Performance system is a joke (PBC, PA, etc)
    Performance reviews are unfair
    Utlitization targets unrealistic
    Overseas shippment of jobs
    Too many H1-B visa workers
    Management is very dishonest
    Some of the project work is crap

Value your employees. Without your employees there would be no IBM. Approach employees issues with an open mind and be fair.

Not the Place to Spend a Long Time

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Most of the world has not clued in yet that IBM is just another company, so having experience there carries a lot of weight.

Cons

IBM, from all reports, used to be something special: but no more: it is just another company. In the name of shareholder value -- their only benchmark for policy -- they have reduced education to a set of crummy online classes, all but eliminated salary increases, and slashed staffing levels to the detriment of their clients. Local managers have little control over employee ratings or salary increases: they are dictated by bean counters far removed from the employees. Hence, ratings and raises barely reflect an employee's performance. All travel and discretionary spending has been eliminated. Perks like Christmas Parties or Company Picnics are done. On my project, we had potluck events in which the managers had to pay out of pocket for the meat/BBQ for the staff.

Morale at IBM is very low, and there is a huge brain drain. In my 10-year stint, most of the long-term IBMers (15+ years and more) jumped ship. Communication, usually in the form of glowing profit reports, comes down from on high, as if the news meant anything to rank and file. Upper management continues to cut everything while crowing about how wonderfully the company is performing. Almost every employee regards this brainless cheerleading as a joke. The company is either clueless or heedless: take your pick.

All work now -- from application development to project management to administration -- is distributed into separate towers that are physically remote, and often offshored to BRIC countries. Anyone in a job classification not requiring "face time" with clients is a likely target for layoffs, which occur, at minimum, yearly. Opportunity is limited, and in my sector -- government -- IBM's business model, which operates on the idea of premium pricing for premium services, rings hollow to cash-strapped governments. IBM's take is to offshore almost all the work or bid at normal rates and lose. Not a very long horizon for most people, especially in the technical realm.

Almost everyone I know at my former project is trying to leave the company. I got out just in time.

None. These guys own a lot of stock, so their main incentive is to raise stock prices.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM