Ok place to work.

Current Employee - Manager in Texas City, TX
Current Employee - Manager in Texas City, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Good number of SAP projects...strcutured company....human policies are good...

Cons

Competitiveness in market and the way SAP project are sold are putting too much of pressure on cosultants..

Advice to Management

Change the way you treat employees and concentrate on worklife balance..

reviews filtered by

IBM will squeeze you and starve you until you quit or they downsize you.

Current Employee - Senior Development Engineer in East Fishkill, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Development Engineer in East Fishkill, NY

I have been working at IBM

Pros

They haven't gotten rid of all benefits, yet.

Cons

You will worry all the time @ IBM
    Worry about being downsized or outsourced or offshored.
    Worry about having benefits cutt and cost increased
    Worry about managing your retirement funds
    Worry about funding your retirement
    Worry about managing your career by yourself
    Worry about promotions being frozen
    Worry about your salary failing to keep up with even tame inflation
    Worry about mgmt failing to pay out full bonus plan even with record profits.

Advice to Management

You have decimated all loyalty and incentive throughout the ranks, The only dedicated employees are the execs with the golden leash of stock options. What are you going to do with all high paid chiefs and no Indians ?

Not the Place to Spend a Long Time

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Most of the world has not clued in yet that IBM is just another company, so having experience there carries a lot of weight.

Cons

IBM, from all reports, used to be something special: but no more: it is just another company. In the name of shareholder value -- their only benchmark for policy -- they have reduced education to a set of crummy online classes, all but eliminated salary increases, and slashed staffing levels to the detriment of their clients. Local managers have little control over employee ratings or salary increases: they are dictated by bean counters far removed from the employees. Hence, ratings and raises barely reflect an employee's performance. All travel and discretionary spending has been eliminated. Perks like Christmas Parties or Company Picnics are done. On my project, we had potluck events in which the managers had to pay out of pocket for the meat/BBQ for the staff.

Morale at IBM is very low, and there is a huge brain drain. In my 10-year stint, most of the long-term IBMers (15+ years and more) jumped ship. Communication, usually in the form of glowing profit reports, comes down from on high, as if the news meant anything to rank and file. Upper management continues to cut everything while crowing about how wonderfully the company is performing. Almost every employee regards this brainless cheerleading as a joke. The company is either clueless or heedless: take your pick.

All work now -- from application development to project management to administration -- is distributed into separate towers that are physically remote, and often offshored to BRIC countries. Anyone in a job classification not requiring "face time" with clients is a likely target for layoffs, which occur, at minimum, yearly. Opportunity is limited, and in my sector -- government -- IBM's business model, which operates on the idea of premium pricing for premium services, rings hollow to cash-strapped governments. IBM's take is to offshore almost all the work or bid at normal rates and lose. Not a very long horizon for most people, especially in the technical realm.

Almost everyone I know at my former project is trying to leave the company. I got out just in time.

Advice to Management

None. These guys own a lot of stock, so their main incentive is to raise stock prices.