IBM

Managing Consultant Title/Staff Level Work

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM

Pros

The benefits are outstanding and the "ability" to work globally exists. However, those opportunities are very few and far from reality.

Cons

In the DC area, the Federal clients expect you and your staff to roll up your sleeves and complete staff level work.

Your salary will TRICKLE during your tenure.

Please get rid of the current promotion process.

12142 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Revew Headline

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Lots of resources, opportunities in many different cities

Cons

You are just another number, lots of travel

The employees that bring in profit should be taken care of

The Audacity of Politics

Current Employee - Advisory Storage Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Advisory Storage Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at IBM

Pros

- lots of smart people that, for the most part, work with you and share
    - the largest R&D in the industry - more patents than all competitors combined
    - customers never say "what was your company's name again?"
    - unbelievably broad product sets

Cons

- Promotions and "Resource Actions" (IBM's fancy term for layoffs), are seemingly based on political alliances
    - like all large tech companies, end-of-quarter frenzies where you are asked to push your customers into buying something before the quarter ends even if it is not in THEIR best interest
    - my manager visited me twice: once to lay out new territories and, the second time to lay me off.
    - IBM apparently has about a 12-24 months 'attention span' when it comes to storage. They wander in and out of markets faster than any company I've ever seen. Example? They announced a new line of NAS products a few years ago. I bought in and sold a solution to a large health insurance company in Phoenix, assuring them (because this is what I was told) that "IBM is in the NAS business for the long-haul." Within a very few months IBM dropped this product line and aligned themselves with NetApp. While not necessarily a bad thing to be aligned with NetApp (and not necessarily a good thing, either), how many companies come out with new products and push them hard for 6 months, then give up, deferring to a superior product from a competitor?
    - when I was laid off my manager did not have accurate revenue numbers for me. He ignored a $400,000 sale then, when I told him about a $1.5 million deal that was going to close the next month, he didn't seem interested in knowing about it. Why? You'd have to ask him but in my opinion it is because he made his decision based on politics and didn't want to be 'confused with the facts.'

- stop reorganizing your sales and technical sales forces every January, then again in July. You are allowing yourself to be confused about the difference between the words 'nimble,' 'flaky" and 'irrational.'
    - if you are going to make changes, make them in the mid-level manager level. Political alliances, aka the good old boy (or girl) network, keeps the same people in the same or similar positions forever. What that means is that their employees are treated like animals that eat their own young; these managers do whatever it takes to keep their job, and surround themselves with a group of people who will defend each other to the death even when what they are saying or doing is very wrong.
    - for gosh sakes, have someone come in and teach you how to run a sales organization. If I had .05% of the R&D money that you have wasted over the years on developing what were truly excellent products, and that you gave up on because your sales force didn't sell enough of them, I would be a billionaire. Other companies can sell MEDIOCRE products and you can't sell terrific technology? I repeat: find someone who can teach you how to run a sales organization. Unintelligent decisions are made every year on what products sales personnel will be 'paid on.' One year System x reps are paid for DS3000's, then next they are not. then the next year they are. Why not simply pay them a different level of commission for products that you want to 'de-emphasize' rather than completely stop paying for that product?
    - I have never worked so hard in my life for a company only to be thrown under the bus. I made my quotas, was a loyal, team oriented player, and was very knowledgeable about my products. Why wasn't that good enough? And why do you allow managers such as mine to dishonestly represent my revenue production so I didn't rock his boat on a decision he had made on incorrect information? Let me emphasize, I was NOT fired. I was 'selected for the Resource Action.' How sick is that?

There are newer employer reviews for IBM