ICF International

Good work/life balance

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Fairfax, VA
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF International

Pros

- The company has a good work/life balance and seems to really care about its employees.
 - Rapid expansion.
 - Competitive pay

Cons

- Not as much pay, not as many perks as larger consulting firms.
- It can be difficult to move projects within the company as the LOBs seem very siloed.

Improve consultants ability to move between LOBs.

314 Other Employee Reviews for ICF International (View Most Recent)

Long term employee is disappointed.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at ICF International

Pros

The best part of working at ICF is that my team is like a second family-- we take care of each other both in the office and out, too.

Cons

I've felt during my tenure that I have not been rewarded for hard work. In particular, management seems to only recognize successes in new business initiavies, rather than continued success in longer-term work.

ICF Is an incredibly top heavy organization. I understand the need to pursue new business intiatives and have strategic hires to get new business. That said, they need to recognize when junior staff are spread too thin and overworked. Additional hires at the junior level may be more strategic than they think.

A decent place for entry level

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at ICF International

Pros

I really liked the people I worked with. Most people were competent and hard working while still being friendly and interesting to talk to (that can make all the difference during the long days!). The benefits were pretty good (though I was disappointed when they switched to an inferior health insurance provider just before I left and also with the paltry transit subsidy). I was given excellent opportunities for professional growth, able to work on very interesting and societally relevant projects and was entrusted with a lot of responsibility after just a year (there and out of college). Note though that such things varied widely across practices (I was in the climate group) and managers. All in all, a steady job, decent compensation (though they could do better there) and interesting work. Not somewhere I wanted to stay forever, but it was a good first job experience and prepared me well for my next job.

Cons

Of course, as a consulting firm, billable hours are key. It seemed that to gain recognition you had to work ridiculous hours. The quality of work was a minor factor (if one at all), what really mattered - how many hours you billed. This can be frustrating for competent, efficient workers who value a true work life balance. Also, opportunities for advancement (i.e., promotions) seemed inflexible. Even if you were successfully managing responsibilities far beyond those of your position, if you didn't have x number of years in, you "couldn't" get promoted. Finally, it seemed like the practices were reorganized every six months. This was confusing and did not improve operations (how could it if you were constantly relearning how things were supposed to work).

More flexibility in promotions would help retain young staff. As would flexible hours (which would also generally reduce stress and commuting times). To help young staff with professional development (and help the company retain more people), a formal mentoring program could be initiated and staff be allowed (and encouraged) to spend at least 4-8 hours of regular work time each month meeting with their mentor, creating a professional development plan and then conducting development activities without having to worry about hurting their utilization rate.

There are newer employer reviews for ICF International