There are newer employer reviews for ICF International

Interesting work, but treated like an independent contractor

Current Employee - Senior Associate
Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at ICF International

Pros

Very interesting work, great colleagues, flexibility with work hours

Cons

Unfortunately, this is going to be a longer list than the pros of the place. Having been with ICF for 6+ years, I get more frustrated with the lack of opportunity and management support each year. What keeps me there is the interesting work. I think the company knows that and takes advantage of it. Benefits are not great, but the primary reason I give ICF such a low satisfaction rating is that every employee is expected to be all things to all people. You are expected to be available at all hours of the day, almost every day. That wouldn't be SO bad since the work is mostly enjoyable. However, you get almost no positive feedback for doing so. I've always felt like we are all independent contractors, basically on your own to find work, with very little support and guidance. It doesn't feel like a salaried position much of the time, but more like a perpetual job interview.

ICF doesn't appreciate the people it has, always looking at outside growth through both acquisitions and new hires and does almost nothing to keep internal staff happy. I would also say that it makes NO sense that they don't take advantage of the extremely qualified staff that are already on board! There are so many artificial boundaries, with divisions and lines of business, that it's extremely difficult to work across the boundaries, which basically shoots the company in the foot. Why not make it easier for people to work together, rather than harder?

Live the "One ICF", encouraging inter-division work without penalty (always worried about LOB revenue), stop treating employees like independent contractors, worry more about internal development than acquiring new companies.

277 Other Employee Reviews for ICF International (View Most Recent)

Rewarding Work and Environment

I have been working at ICF International

Pros

intriguing and meaningful work
    supportive management and colleagues
    verbal and monetary recognition as a result of high performanace and contribution

Cons

overworked, stressful at times
    unfair and unequal distribution of work

assign a reasonable number of staff to manage a project, assignments, program, etc.

This is a good company to join when starting your career.

Former Employee - Software Tester
    Former Employee - Software Tester

I worked at ICF International

Pros

Provide training, flexible schedule, benifits, tuition reinbursement available

Cons

compensations is not competitive with most companies.

n/a