ICF - A decent place to work

Current Employee - Associate Developer in Fairfax, VA
Current Employee - Associate Developer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF International

Pros

Flexibility in work schedule and commuting schedule; wide range of opportunities for exploring different technologies and sharpening different skills, as long as you're willing to go after those opportunities.

Cons

Pressure from upper management to bill as much time as possible to direct accounts, and not "waste" any time on non-project work such as research or training into new technologies. Very little focus on quality control in budget process - hardly any time/money is set aside for full planning and/or testing of products. No broad-reaching procedures or processes for QA/QC.

Advice to Management

Allow employees the flexibility to invest in the quality of their products, even if that means setting aside indirect funds specifically for process improvement and specific technology training.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great company if you want to work with a purpose.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ICF International

Pros

The company is fully of extremely mission-oriented people who are working to make a positive social difference. There is a sense that everyone is coming to work to get down to business with their own part of savings the world. This sense of purpose engenders a strong team spirit and collegial atmosphere that focuses on cooperation over competition. Unlike some other firms in this industry there is not a sense of different offices as "dueling profit centers." Instead there is a general recognition that we all benefit from working together and that getting the job done is more important than whose budget something accrues to. I also appreciate the deep technical expertise here in so many areas. At some firms in the consulting industry there is a poker-faced game of "we've never done that before and don't know much about it, but just tell the client that we'll do it, and we'll figure out 'how' later." At ICF I am consistently impressed by the expertise present at all levels in many practices - usually there is someone who *has* done it before and *does* know a lot about it. This earns my respect and makes me feel like there is leadership I can trust. At the same time there is a trust in staff and a willingness to appreciate innovation wherever it arises. I think this allows junior staff to grow quickly, and motivates them to do their best work. This is not a formulaic place and there is a lot of room for younger employees to put their own mark on the work that comes out of ICF.

Cons

ICF is in a phase of rapid growth after its IPO as a public company in 2007. This has its upsides of course, but it is also engendering a shift to a more investor-profits-driven mentality at the top. While this may be appropriate business practice, it may put some strain on the organizational culture to meet these growth goals. The company's culture of excellence and expertise may be challenged by the requirement to rapidly expand successful groups beyond their current size.

Advice to Management

Look for ways to guard the company's core values and the caliber of its technical expertise as it grows quickly.

Great place to launch a career.

Former Employee - Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF International

Pros

Good work and honest hard working people who believe in the work they are doing. People join ICF at all levels not for the compensation, but for the opportunity to engage in work that matters, both for government and non-profits. This dynamic will often lead (as it did for me) to individuals who are happy with the work but feel generally under compensated.

Cons

Compensation and miss communication between Sr. Management and Jr. Staff. There is very little interaction between the various business units in the company which in turn leads to a siloed environment. Also, HQ in VA makes for a difficult commute for the majority of employees who live within the District.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive in reaching out to Jr. Staff such that you can keep them motivated via a positive work environment.