ICF International
www.icfi.com Fairfax, VA 5000+ Employees

Started out strong, became disillusioned

Analyst (Current Employee)
Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to work with some high-profile clients on projects and programs that really do make a difference. There are many divisions and groups in the company, so you're almost guaranteed to find something that you're interested in doing.

ConsWhere to begin?

ICF recently changed its vacation/sick time policy in favor of a PTO system, which is proving to be confusing at best and stingy at worst. Work/life balance is already terrible across the board, whether you're single and childless or have a family. With less vacation/sick time available, the new PTO system will make work/life balance even worse in favor of work.

But the money doesn't make up for it. Salaries are a joke compared to other companies. Raises are laughable, usually between 1-3% without a promotion, which are also hard to come by, even for the most talented employees. Bonuses and comp time for long hours are nearly non-existent. Do a great job and go "above and beyond" what's expected of you, and you might get a bonus or comp time, but you're more likely to get a pat on the ass and another hefty assignment for which you'll be asked to work long hours again. Showing talent and aptitude really doesn't get you anywhere at ICF; instead, it just gets you strapped with more work. Good thing we have laptops so we can work at home all night instead of at the office!

Every project I've worked on has been under-staffed and run inefficiently; yet, management would sooner lay off talent to cut costs and load up other employees with too much work than hire to staff-up projects. They call it "matrixing" the employees but really it's an excuse to be cheap. Got an idea on how to improve efficiency of a project? Don't even bother, because senior management will just steal your idea and take the credit.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead and heed every negative review on this website (~75% of the reviews and comments). Invest in your junior employees, and if you want them to stay and help build the company, give them a better quality of life. Otherwise, they'll just take their talents elsewhere, and fast. Be prepared for this to happen in the next 6 months to a year, because so many people are dissatisfied with the senior management, salary/lack of bonuses, and new PTO system that they aren't hesitating to look for greener pastures... of which there are many.

Middle Management Nightmare

Network Security Analyst (Current Employee)
Adelphi, MD

I have been working at ICF International as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: Large company with various opportunities. Not difficult to get hired. Cons: Feel like a temp working here. Middle management is untrained, sleazy and manipulative. Employees are not at all valued. Doing… Advice to Senior Management: Train middle management and supervise them to encourage ethical behavior.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Hypocrits Make Poor Employers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at ICF International part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Potential for being a company that would be wonderful to work for… Cons: The company management is deceptive at best, it's very hard to say that they are worthy of the pats on the back that they give… Advice to Senior Management: Develop a sense of honesty and do what you are paid… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on ICF International.

Worked for ICF International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ICF International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ICF International CEO Sudhakar Kesavan. All reviews posted anonymously by ICF International employees.