There are newer employer reviews for ICF International

Great workplace

Former Employee - Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ICF International as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Excellent people to work with

Cons

No relocation package is provided to interns.

263 Other Employee Reviews for ICF International (View Most Recent)

Poor Management -- Constantly Re-inventing the Wheel

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ICF International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large sized, established company. Relatively high annual revenue. Corporate stability. People from the business units (not from corporate operations) are generally pleasant to work with.

Cons

I had worked at ICF for 4 years. After 2 years on the job, I was the most senior member of my department of 6+/- employees. Never once did my department ever promote an employee from within (new hires were brought in to take all senior positions). I never once received a promotion (I was promised a promotion through merit on 2 occasions) despite having the highest annual performance reviews in my department every year I was at ICF. My department seemed to have an aversion to promoting from within, for whatever reason (which was the reason 4 of the 5 other employees in my department departed). This caused great detriment to employee morale as long serving, highly effective employees who were passed over for promotions were expected to train outside hires to take senior positions.

Management was constantly restructuring department structure and implementing/eliminating policies and procedures to the point that no one knew what the current structure or policies & procedures were. The constant restructuring occurred literally at least once a year. After 3 1/2 years, structure and policies & procedures virtually returned to the way they had been before I started, which raises the question "why were they changed in the first place?"

In addition to the frenetic revamping that constantly went on, there seemed to be a culture of pettiness, dishonesty and "back-stabbing" within the management team of my department. I often thought "if management devoted half of the time towards implementing effective structure and policies & procedures that they do to petty squables and trying to one-up each other, the work environment would be bordering on ideal."

Also, one minor thing that always bothered me was that ICF makes employees pay for parking in the parking garage that is part of ICF's leased space in Fairfax, VA (there are no other alternatives for parking at this location) and is solely reserved for ICF employees (with the exception of visitor spaces on the lower level). The collection of fees for parking might not be so aggravating, except that ICF then uses those fees to pay subsidies and rewards to employees who take mass transit (which is not an option for most people at ICF, especially for people in my department who are required to work long and varied hours).

Upper management (CEO, CFO, COO) needs to examine the damage caused by poor management in the corporate operations sector. Poor middle-management has lead to an astoundingly high employee turn-over rate.

Great Start, but don't stick around for long

Former Employee - Associate  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Alexandria, VA

I worked at ICF International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Positive beginning, Lots of support, educational opportunities, looks great on resume. You will learn a lot, and figure out how federal contracting works.

Cons

Early plateau, lots of pressure, no support from upper management, mandatory overtime. Don't stick around if you want to have a career in the DC federal sector.

Stop focusing on billable hours. Employee education should be an internal focus. Stop bleeding people dry at the start of their careers, otherwise no one will stick around for more than a few years.

There are newer employer reviews for ICF International

Worked for ICF International? Contribute to the Community!