There are newer employer reviews for ICF International

Interesting work; some opportunity for advancement; can feel stuck in your position

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ICF International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professionally supportive and accessible upper management. I feel comfortable sharing ideas and asking questions of vice presidents and feel that they value my contributions. Flexible work hours and ability to work from home (varies by supervisor and project manager--not everyone can enjoy this benefit). If you take initiative to do internal networking, people are ready to work with you, listen to your ideas, and help you. Almost everyone I have met here is quite smart, hard working, and good on a team.

Cons

Switch from sick and vacation to PTO. Lack of work/life balance. Feeling valued is important to me personally, but it has not translated into raise or promotion, which would be at least as meaningful. Your experience with the company can vary wildly depending on which office you sit in, who your supervisor is, and who your line of business lead is. This includes things like whether you can work from home, how and how long it takes to get promoted, whether you are expected to check email at night and on weekends, whether you are allowed to leave a project you don't like for one you prefer, etc. Promotion feels as though it is partly based on merit but at least equally based on who you know and whether you have a good supervisor who looks out for you. I feel I've been doing management level work for at least a year without having the salary or job title that I deserve.

Advice to Management

Have some guidelines on what non-management staff can expect in terms of how long it takes to be promoted in addition to what the skills are. Get management on board about what ICF practices are and have them applied across the board.

Other Employee Reviews for ICF International

A Great Place To Avoid

Former Employee - Program Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Program Analyst in Rockville, MD

I worked at ICF International part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home opportunities made it attractive and served as the only plus that I could find in the position other than picking up a paycheck every two weeks. There were little to no incentives to get interested in any aspect of the position. I found precious little about the position and the management to categorize as a "pro" to the job other than LEAVING the job. And that was a definite PLUS! :)

Cons

Poor management; lack of communication; politics; mediocre pay; poor benefits; less than optimal chances of professional development; less than honest

Advice to Management

Get manager training and learn how to manage; develop integrity; and learn what honesty is all about.

Menial, underpaid work, with little opportunity for advancement.

Current Employee - Analyst in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in work schedule; ability to telecommute when needed; some ability to choose projects you want to work on

Cons

Little to no opportunity to advance as junior staff; low pay (relative to competition) and low annual raises; minimal vacation time/PTO; few training opportunities for younger staff (this is not "billable" work); LOTS of tedious, boring work

Advice to Management

Increase PTO and emphasize need to train and retain more junior staff