ICF International

www.icfi.com
There are newer employer reviews for ICF International

Typical large corporate government contracting firm

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Rockville, MD
Former Employee - Research Assistant in Rockville, MD

I worked at ICF International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

decent pay and benefits, flexibility and ability to maintain a good personal life, many offices throughout the world, fun holiday parties

Cons

Some impersonal, hands-off managers that make getting work done difficult, and it is difficult to advance despite the size of the company. In my office at least, the overwhelming majority of those in executive positions were men.

Allow workers more flexibility and lighten up on the 'corporate rebranding' and forced adaptation of the corporate culture.

302 Other Employee Reviews for ICF International (View Most Recent)

Hardworking family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ICF International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Free coffee, tea and snacks - coming from places that had neither you would be surprised how much those little things help get you through the day
    *Company social clubs organized by employees are cool - really welcoming folks
    *Recent push for employees to develop career goals and company wide support from managers to actually help staff follow through with achieving those crafted goals
    *Growth opportunities for those willing to do the work
    * Tuition reimbursement, matching 401k contribution
    *Flexible hours (depends on manager)
    *Great co-workers - a lot of people really care. It's a family.
    * Holiday parties and company happy hours almost quarterly it seems now - depends on which group you are with
    *Upgrading of processes to meet the exploding growth of this company. They are making an effort and it is noticed and appreciated.

Cons

*Work-life balance is kind of non-existent. If you come here, your life may literally become work. You get used to it and it isn't too bad. The balance for some seem to be the opportunity to work from home and do work in other locations besides the office.... However, this isn't true work-life balance...it is moreso flexibility in working locations
    *Some managers expect tons of work but don't give you the project hours for it.
    *Pointless tasks assigned to staff by certain managers. If it doesn't really help us with our deliverable in any way, shape, or form - why do it?
    *Too much client butt kissing and not enough true advice - the client hired us for the expertise! Let's not promise them the world when they paid for a country!
    *Hard to grow relationships with staff sitting off site at certain client locations. Even harder to connect with different lines of business and groups....we are getting better but we still have a ways to go
    *Conference room infrastructure is starting to age and no one seems to care. This affects meetings.
    *One on site tech support for computers and aging equipment - and he isn't even dedicated to our office! We are supposed to call some help desk just to talk to him. It's all very red tape and extra bureaucratic.
    *Disconnect between headquarters and our location at times
    *Switch from vacation and sick time to standard PTO - resulted in lost sick time for employees.

The best managers have a hands off approach and understand that their employees are there to do a job that they have been well trained to do. Let's support these employees and avoid micromanaging. New managers don't always understand this. Also, the company has a very supportive atmosphere among colleagues. New managers should understand this and adjust accordingly. We should nurture this culture of support. The last thing we want to turn this place into is one unhappy micromanaging environment.

Technical Specialist supporting Gov't Client...

Current Employee - Acquisition Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Acquisition Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at ICF International as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Very good work-life balance is good..room for growth is available. Senior management has an open door policy which makes me comfortable in voicing my concerns and/or issues.

Cons

If you're permanetly supporting a client on site, it makes it difficult to build outside relationships with other co-workers at corporate. Need more time to interact and build relationships in order to explore other internal opportunities.

Professional growth needs to be alloted for every employee regardless of whether you work at the client site or other ICF offices..

There are newer employer reviews for ICF International