Interactive Technologies

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at ICON full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good experience, good chance for progression if youre in the right clique

Cons

management promote their friends rather than whos better at the job

Advice to Management

n/a

Other Employee Reviews for ICON

It's probably on the better end of a big CRO experience

Pros

Great benefits. Competetive Salary. Really nice coworkers. Good equipment for home-based employees. In terms of what a lot of the big CROs offer, I think ICON is probably the best in terms of benefits. I haven't found anyone that can beat it.

Cons

Typically CRO cons - lots of travel, tough expectations, demanding sponsors. No cell phone or phone stipen for travelling CRAs makes life difficult. I think your experience here really depends on the study/sponsor teams. I work with two different teams and find one to be a pleasant experience and the other has me in tears of frustration. They are also transitioning from a mid-size to large-size CRO in a tough economy and I know at least the CRAs are feeling that squeeze. But it's not unreasonable compared to other CROs. The technology, especially CTMS, is really not efficient or modern. Big improvements to be made here. Difficult to get promoted. Doesn't really have a culture.

Advice to Management

Try to keep your studies within a Sponsor program as consistent as possible. Firecrest is great - invest in your internal CTMS to make your CRAs work more efficient now too! Please keep the site level in mind when you come up with new forms that need to be signed and circulated. It's not reasonable to have 35 people individually sign a release form.

2. Great atmosphere, but very demanding

Pros

Very nice people, very helpful, relatively informal, many events being organised for personnel, and from my own experience, very fair manager

Cons

many deadlines, high work pressure, sometimes a lack of knowledge from people in higher functions, although there are lots of trainings, they should invest in proper relevant training, tailored to the function.

Advice to Management

Invest in proper on-the-job, relevant, training for newcomers, do not overload them with endless presentations that are not always as relevant. Be realistic in what can be achieved. Be more critical when hiring people, do not overestimate their capabilities without thoroughly estimating their experience.