There are newer employer reviews for ICON

Solid company

I worked at ICON full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Willing to explore new technologies. Employees tend to stay for a longer-than-average time. Good insurance in the U.S. and generous with awarding vacation days.

Cons

A con for U.S. staff is executive management consistently explain that it is very expensive to run clinical trials in America ... and uses that as an excuse to not expand headcount.

Try to get your group managers to remember about work/life balance.

161 Other Employee Reviews for ICON (View Most Recent)

Opportunities and change

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at ICON full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement. Interesting work that helps people. Great people to work with in a business casual environment. Health benefits are second to none.

Cons

Training for management is non-existent. ICON wants to be the small family type of business it started as, but still be a big company. These conflict. The leadership are not interested in investing in technology that improves efficiency and solves problems.

Managing the bottom line includes managing the escape of talent due to overwork and under pay.

Great to start a career - Probably won't want to stick around for too long though

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst I  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst I in Houston, TX

I have been working at ICON full-time for less than a year

Pros

Being a recent college graduate, the pay that was offered to me was excellent relative to what I was expecting. In addition, the benefits are incredible by I would imagine most's standards - very cheap and decent health/eye/dental insurance, 10 vacation days and 3 personal days beginning the first year (prorated to date of hire of course) and other little perks like gym reimbursements.

ICON is also multi-national, and in my job I work with various people from around the world on a daily basis and I feel that's a great pro.

I have found my immediate and next in line manager to be great people as well.

Cons

For my job function, a lot of the current policies and procedures in place are outdated and cause considerable confusion within the group on how to function.

Coming from a retail environment, I had grown accustomed to a fairly robust infrastructure. I could manage everything about my HR profile, W-2/W-4 information, and tons of other things myself from a portal. The infrastructure here however seems to lag behind, with many of the things I was capable of doing in my previous job not possible here without using old fashioned methods.

The equipment given to me to work with is fairly old (older dell laptops running Windows XP) - That may be fine for some occupations, but I program, and it has an adverse effect on my ability to do my job well. This is beginning to be rectified, with some of the more senior developers getting brand new Thinkpads with SSD's and such, so this may not be an issue by next year.

Although I haven't had an issue yet during my first year, a couple of my co-workers put in long hours (10'ish hour days) in order to catch-up with all the work assigned to them. My immediate supervisor easily clocks 10 hours a day if not more. There is a real possibility your may end up working a lot.

Don't rush into forcing change within the organization unless you have a solid plan for doing so. Doing little things for employees in their everyday work lives go a long way - Offer bonuses, maybe a weekly lunch pro bono. It goes a long way to improving employee morale.

There are newer employer reviews for ICON

Worked for ICON? Contribute to the Community!