IDEO

www.ideo.com
  www.ideo.com
There are newer employer reviews for IDEO

A one-of-a-kind place. But we can always do better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IDEO full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

IDEO is consistently full of smart, talented people. We may all be doing different things, but we're all working together, rather than at cross purposes. In my many years there I have had only a tiny number of bad experiences with other IDEO people. In most of those cases, the people didn't stay at IDEO very long.

Cons

You really have to make your own way. If you wait for 'management' to show you how to be a success, you'll never succeed. You have to be a self-starter and self-promoter. This can be frustrating & confusing at times. It is hard to connect with people you're not working directly with. Its hard to connect with peers, since at most levels your peers are doing similar jobs on different projects.

Also, its time to move beyond the philosophy of "you don't come to IDEO for the pay." Please make it as hard as possible for me to consider working somewhere else. There have been too many stories of people leaving IDEO to double their pay.

As the company continues to grow, please make sure you stay connected to the core of the designers on design teams. While its great for our reputation that senior leaders speak at TED, Davos, and other globally influential events, make sure that remains relevant to the guys and gals pulling 125% billable weeks doing the great work that leads to the great stories you can tell.

59 Other Employee Reviews for IDEO (View Most Recent)

A great place to do diverse, world-leading design with great people.

Current Employee - Design Engineer/Project Leader in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer/Project Leader in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at IDEO

Pros

IDEO has amazing staff, connections and clients. The range of consulting projects is truly mind-boggling. From highly detailed mechanical engineering innovations for the healthcare industry to brand-strategy, government work, consumer electronics, campaigns, web experiences, food and beverage, startup incubation, non-profit work, the list goes on. Employees are highly capable and motivated and come from a wide range of design disciplines. IDEO takes quality of life seriously and goes out of its way to make a good working environment for staff and support them in their personal and extra-curricular endeavors. It's a great place to get a lot of design experience under your belt. Newly generous vacation policy is nice too.

Cons

Since the work is project based, your whole experience depends on your client and your project leader. If a project is over-scoped you might end up working some intense hours. Monetary compensation leaves something to be desired. Being a very flat hierarchy there aren't many opportunities to advance into mid-level management roles so it's a common pattern for people to spend several years as a designer at IDEO and then head to another company for a more senior role.

Increased transparency with senior management decisions. Continue working to get the compensation level in-line with local markets.

Great foundation for a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at IDEO

Pros

Fun, young culture that has lots of perks.

Cons

Support staff is usually overworked and underpaid.

There are newer employer reviews for IDEO