There are newer employer reviews for IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

Slow Down and Take Care of Some HR Business!

Current Employee - Facilities  in  Westbrook, ME
Current Employee - Facilities in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

Stable employment in a State where there are very few opportunities for real careers and earnings.

Cons

Eight years ago this place was too good to be true. Over the last three to four years it has taken a turn for the worst. Like many other reviews, most of the departments are run by managers with personal agendas and clearly look at employees as easily replaceable in a downturn economy. The company has tried to offset some of the negative employee issues with a "My Voice" survey given to employees the last two years. What I have seen is a lot of talk about some of the key issues and no tangible movement to resolve any of them.

In my department, Facilities, the same key issues of trust/respect, accountability and the willingness to speak up were repeat issues. The managers in Facilities are clueless on how to even start to deal with these items. Our department has essentially been leaderless with no clear direction for over three years. Our former Director left about 6 months ago but prior to this he allowed his middle managers to run amok and sending employees off in all directions with no purpose or common goals. We get things done out of necessity but in a manner that is dysfunctional and costly with back stabbing, gossiping and undermining each other the norm. There is a current effort to replace the Director, which most are hoping will get us back on track. Unfortunately there are a few of the dysfunctional middle managers that have applied for this position. If any of them get hired for the position it would be a disaster for our department and the company. We NEED someone to come in and clean house, clean up the lack of accountability, stop middle management personal agendas from guiding us and get everyone in Facilities pointed in the right direction. We are hoping to have this new leadership in place by Q1 (2013). I am optimistic that things will work out. In the meantime I am looking outside of IDEXX for opportunities if the slide continues in our department.

It's too bad that you cannot put yourself in your employee's shoes to see what is really going on at the ground floor. Not sure what you are going to do when the economy does really turn around and you have a mass exodus of employees walking out the door. Now is when you want to fix the problems before things are too late.

161 Other Employee Reviews for IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. (View Most Recent)

Disappointed--avoid if possible

Current Employee - R&D Manager  in  Westbrook, ME
    Current Employee - R&D Manager in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

if negotiated well and lucky you get good wage and benefits,not guaranteed !!.

Cons

--Full of managers playing politics ,with complete disregard for existing employees (R&D)
    --No respect for current full time employees ,so no company loyalty built,every one tries to get his head in the game.
    --all talk no action.
    --Contractors given more importance than 15-20yrs exp employees.
    --forget on promotions unless you can do some politics.

--Take some action dont just talk
    --value your existing employees ,they are the best resource
    --Hire talented managers ,

No accountability. Very inconsistent from one department to another.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Westbrook, ME
    Current Employee - Engineer in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very complicated and intellectually challenging work. Clean, modern facility. Freedom to do your work how you like. Some departments are amazing, creative, and professionally exciting. IDEXX is a good place to ride out the bad economy.

Cons

Corporate culture:
    IDEXX is made up out of at least a dozen tribes with very different levels of ethics and treatment of employees. Where you wind up is completely dependent on the skills and vision of the managers in your reporting line. Some groups (esp R&D) are very Laissez-faire. This is nice as far as freedom, but communication and accountability are lacking. One department will undermine another. There is not enough alignment regarding tools and methods resulting in significant wasted effort and energy.

Management culture:
    Many managers are good people who have no management knowledge/skills, but have learned how to survive by controlling the information that goes to their manager. Some managers avoid accountability by evading integration tools that would optimize company performance by creating metrics. Survival is very political, and managers who have outlived several rounds of senior management have become sensitive to anything that reveals problems that need to be fixed. (Survival is dependent on making your peers look good). Several abusive or incompetent managers have been allowed to continue to operate for years, and years, and years despite complaints.

Working environment:
    Some roles are highly matrixed. Some people provide deliverables for 6-12 managers/projects/products, but don't report to any of them. New people with zero experience are hired in at a higher rate of pay than than your peers who have been working for years, and who are then expected to train the new college kids. New staff is always hired through temp agencies, not through HR and therefore are not what the company needs. Managers are surprised when the new hire isn't interested in the work they were hired to do.

There are often no goals or baselined expectations for many employees. When goals are set they can be crazy or difficult to manage because of changing objectives, and impossible to manage with unskilled managers. (EX: One person I know was told they needed experience presenting, and was given a goal to present their coworker's project updates to management. Another was given a goal to manage the interns in their department because the manager who the interns reported to did not even try to manage them). Annual reviews are roulette, and don't seem to have any correlation to effort or deliverables. Reviews are highly dependent on 360s, and the people filling out 360s do not know what has been asked of you.

Ethics: You are taking the right steps by trying to improve the culture, but you need to accelerate it and create accountability to it. Stop holding managers accountable to having an "action plan" to deal with problems - hold managers accountable to the RESULTS that plan gets! You need to hire middle/upper management that is more entrepreneurial/ will be more engaged with their staff. The gentlemen you have been hiring from giant bio-med companies are great guys, but they are accustomed to not know what is going on at the front line and very slow progress.

Line of Business: LOB managers are held accountable for product and project team deliverables, but none of the staff on teams report to them. This creates a complete barrier to accountability. This is a common matrix organization issue, and there are a battery of potential ways to deal with it. Work with a matrix consulting firm to develop a plan so your teams can get traction. The initial growth curve of the company will flatten or will only be possible to maintain through acquisitions unless you replace the flat tires.

R&D: Promoting brilliant technical personnel into management should only be done when the person exhibits strong managerial capability, they should be supported by mentors/HR, and be able to step away from their technical roles. Many people aspire to management, but very few will excel at it. Unless you develop standards for management, R&D will continue to be less efficient and cost effective than it should.

HR: The highest ethical standards need to be demanded of HR while the company develops an integrated culture. Low standards of the past must be dispensed with immediately, and HR staff that has earned distrust with the employee population must be shifted over or out if you want to remove barriers to progress. Hire HR personnel with high standards only, empower and listen to HR. Without a stellar HR team, we will not improve.

There are newer employer reviews for IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

Worked for IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!