IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.
www.idexx.com Westbrook, ME 5000+ Employees

Huge Disappointment

Former Manager (Former Employee)
Grafton, MA

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent money if you negotiate right, benefits, stock options

ConsIncredibly disorganized, lower employees are all treated like dirt, HR is inept and incompetent.

I worked with this company as a technician and supervisor in several of their locations for years only to leave in disgust. I was tired of having to hire people at insulting wages while employees that had an "in" with management got paid ridiculous amounts of money. I didn't like forcing my employees to work six or seven days a week because we weren't allowed to hire an appropriate level of staffing and then hear about increased overtime wages and not meeting TAT at my monthly business review meetings. And I REALLY didn't like HR doing a piss-poor job of investigating any and all personnel conflicts until their own jobs were threatened.

Each reference laboratory has its own set of rules and guidelines. Some labs (usually the smaller ones under the radar) have decent managers and supervisors and are pretty nice to work at. Some of the larger labs use employees until they're completely burned out, and then discard them. And God help you if you work in the Memphis lab. I mean, seriously, God help you.

Upper management (GM and directors) have no clue who you are, but that doesn't stop them from coming by once every couple of years to stay in nice hotels, eat out and gamble every night, and drive expensive rental cars while simultaneously telling you they can't afford a new hematocrit centrifuge. All employee parties and events were cancelled many years ago out of budget restrictions and travel was also restricted a couple years back (sometimes they'll let you have a holiday potluck). They tell you in one breath that they can't afford any of these things, and then force you to sit through staff meetings where they pat themselves on the back for having a record year for profit.

Don't even get me started on LEAN. Useless, money and time wasting program with zero follow through.

If you are a doctor, have a decent title in Westbrook, or work as an upper manager you are treated extremely well, but if you're a regular working joe you are treated like absolute garbage - which is why half the reviews are great on here and the rest are awful. IDEXX has this fantasy that they treat their employees decently, but that's because anyone who complains is labelled as a negative troublemaker and denied advancement opportunities and promotions. Unless you are full of sunshine and rainbows, for the love of god don't open your mouth if you want to keep working here.

Upper level managers and directors will often be found on their computers chatting, leaving early, coming in late, taking hour or so long lunches. Bottom level employees can be found working 12 hour shifts, not taking lunch or even bathroom breaks, and getting berated for missing TAT or getting too much OT. "We work hard so you don't have to" should be IDEXX's slogan.

They offer just enough money above what other companies offer just to entice people in the door and then keep them at that wage for years. I have been forced to give employees literally 2 cent raises. A "good" raise is probably around 30 cents for most technicians. This is why you see reviews stating people get hired in making more than people who have been there for years.

I wouldn't recommend working here if you have an active family life. It is VERY frowned upon to take time off or leave early for family functions, and they will NOT pay you your sick time for any reason other than you being sick. If your car won't start, or the lab is open in a snowstorm and you can't make it, if your child is ill or you don't have daycare for the day, you will not get paid for that day. Some labs MAY let you use vacation time if you have any left, but they are within their rights to make you take it unpaid. And they will.

However, if you are a motivated person who seriously wants to dedicate your life to your job and don't care about corporate culture, IDEXX is the place for you. They do offer good benefits and stock options, as well as 401k matching. They are happy to promote you as long as you are fast and efficient to their guidelines and always tell them what they want to hear, and fire who they want you to fire, and hire who they want you to hire, and agree with all of their policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually care about your staff and employees, don't just give lip service to this ideal. Completely overhaul and rework your HR department. Have some compassion and listen. And for the love of god, STOP telling us how you can't afford basic things that are necessary to do our job. You are a billion dollar biotech company. Grow up and start acting like it.

Slow Down and Take Care of Some HR Business!

Facilities (Current Employee)
Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros: Stable employment in a State where there are very few… Cons: Eight years ago this place was too good to be true. Over the last three to four years it has taken a turn for… Advice to Senior Management: It's too bad that you cannot put yourself in your employee's shoes to see what is really going on at the ground floor. Not… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Competitive pay but definite drawbacks

Customer Support Consultant (Former Employee)
Eau Claire, WI

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: As a Software Support Tech I made double minimum wage,… Cons: In this department, the hours varied between 6:30 AM an 8:00 PM (so hard to find childcare for this reason!) and although it is 'supposed'… Advice to Senior Management: VALUE THE EMPLOYEES YOU HAVE. Give the employees that have been there a while higher wages, better hours, and start the new ones off slightly… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on IDEXX Laboratories, Inc..

Worked for IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. CEO Jon Ayers. All reviews posted anonymously by IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. employees.