IEEE

www.ieee.org
  www.ieee.org
There are newer employer reviews for IEEE

Sometimes great, sometimes infuriating

I have been working at IEEE full-time

Pros

98% of the staff and volunteers you work are great people. Friendly, committed, and professional. The group I work in is very professional, believes in professional development, and is family friendly. I couldn't ask for a better work team and boss.

Cons

1) Volunteer leadership changes every year so sometimes it is run so poorly and this can be infuriating and demoralizing. 2) Staff at the higher levels is not very racially diverse. I doubt this is intentional but I don't believe there is a real commitment to a more diverse workforce. 3) there is a lot of inconsistencies in different departments - like some value professional development and will pay for training while others won't; some really are family friendly and others aren't; etc. If you are considering working there, try to talk with non-supervisors and ask them questions about the environment.

For top staff management council: stop making decisions in your insular vacuum. You don't know what really goes on.
For top volunteer management: staff are true partners; when you say negative things about staff, you demoralize them which helps no one. If you have a particular problem with a specific staff member, deal with it one-on-one and don't generalize. For the most part, staff are very dedicated to volunteers.

85 Other Employee Reviews for IEEE (View Most Recent)

Non-profit turning into a For-profit

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits package.
    Work with high-level volunteers in the industry.

Cons

New management is becoming more sales focused.
    Work-life balance declining.

Focus on your slogan, "Advancing Technology for Humanity," instead of the bottom line. IEEE members have expressed dissatisfaction of rising fees with no benefits.

Good Hard working people who do not have a strategy for success

I worked at IEEE

Pros

wonderful people who want to build a great organization

Cons

no vision, strategy that creates a great membership organization

Learn from Unions like SEIU and others. Survey professionals that are not members to understand their needs.

There are newer employer reviews for IEEE