IEM

www.iem.com
There are newer employer reviews for IEM

Great environment to learn; not to grow

Current Employee - EM Associate in Durham, NC
Current Employee - EM Associate in Durham, NC

I have been working at IEM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Incredibly smart people work at IEM and as an employee you get your hands in on a myriad of projects across sectors and stakeholder levels. Really valuable opportunities to gain experience outside of specialty area. The most flexible working environment as well!

Cons

There is no room for professional growth and very little opportunity for sponsored professional development. Project execution is carried out at the Associate or Analyst level. The Managers serve more as salesmen than anything else. Very few opportunities to move up within the company.

Promote visibility of employee expertise across company.
Provide a means of internal growth to promote employee longevity.

16 Other Employee Reviews for IEM (View Most Recent)

Good company

I worked at IEM

Pros

Good working environment and good support from the management

Cons

Sometimes things are dragging on too long

Time for process improvement

A Good, If Challenging, Place to Work

I have been working at IEM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

First, I have to say that IEM hires some amazing people. Because of our multi-disciplinary approach to pretty much every project we undertake, I've gotten to work with some brilliant people who are at the top of their fields. I can honestly say that I have learned more in my almost 10 years with IEM than I have in any other job I've ever had.

I also have to say that I really respect the ethics of this company. I've heard stories from friends who work for other contractors where some of their business practices are ethically questionable at best. The owner/CEO of IEM has a strong belief in doing the right thing the right way, and that is reflected in the comments of our customers.

Cons

IEM is a unique environment, no matter what office you work in. It takes a particular personality type to fit in at IEM, and if you don't have it, you probably won't be happy and probably won't last long. Unfortunately, it's a tough environment to explain or quantify.

My least favorite part of working at IEM is work-life balance. While there is some flexibility in working hours, whether you do project work or you are on the administrative side of things, getting the job done can sometimes mean long hours, with evenings and weekends involved. It can be really hard to have a personal life, and sometimes it is really hard to schedule time off or vacation (or actually take the time off you scheduled). Sometimes you have to be really aggressive and assertive to be able to take time off.

Another big problem is the lack of opportunity for professional development. The company doesn't provide any, and if you do it on your own, you do it on your own dime. That can be really frustrating because you can feel like you are stagnating, and the job can sometimes get monotonous.

One other challenge is the lack of opportunity for advancement. Basically, unless you move in to management (which is not an easy thing to do), there is no way to advance, and transfers to other departments or directorates to advance are extraordinarily rare. Rumor has it that a career ladder offering opportunities to advance is in the works, but that has been talked about at least since I started at the company. I'll believe it when I see it.

As far as salary goes...I'm not sure how we we compare. I've heard from people in certain disciplines, mostly in the software development area, that our salaries are low compared to similar companies. In my own position, salary seems to be on the low side of average based on the survey's I've seen. Raises can be tough to come by because they are based on the success of the company, not on any kind of set COLA or anything like that. In good years, you do well. In lean years, not so much.

You have fantastic people working for you who really respect the company, the management, and what IEM stands for. Invest in them. Pay them well, give them the chance to improve existing skills and gain new ones...on the company dime. Help them find a way to balance doing a fantastic job for the company and having a fantastic life outside of work. Employees who aren't verging on burn out are happier and more productive than ones who are.

There are newer employer reviews for IEM