IHS

www.ihs.com
  www.ihs.com
There are newer employer reviews for IHS

Pretty good place to work. A bit slow on decision making that doesn't affect bottom line.

Former Employee - IT Manager in Englewood, CO
Former Employee - IT Manager in Englewood, CO

I worked at IHS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great comp and benefits. Great people to work with.

Cons

constant reorgs, no acquisition integration strategy beyond email, telecom.

262 Other Employee Reviews for IHS (View Most Recent)

An Eye Opener!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at IHS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I would say that the benefits are good and probably a good place for a young person to begin a career.

Cons

The company is focused on putting funds in to the company and not the employees. There is a high rate of acquisition and a lot lot of talk, but no follow through. In my department there were two "layoffs" in a six month period, but not a large percentage, and probably a lot more fat. There does not appear to be any career path; if you want a job go for it, if you want a career, do not stop by. Also, do not make too many friends because there is a lot of gossip. I am not that confident in their products. I had a fancy title that in no way represented what my job was, and hence one or my concerns that everything is not on the up and up, meaning it is a good way to "present" things not as they are.

There seems to be a lot of speak about what a great company it is, but I see it as a lot of talk. Communication is extremely poor, and I am not referring to an email that says what new company was acquired or restructuring management. If management was concerned about the employees they would put thought in to their decisions or had a long term plan not a patch. Not sure if it is growing pains, because I would call it poor management. Employees count on management making sound decisions, which provides good support for a company.

Time to review the values...

I have been working at IHS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This really is a company that is unlike any other - Opportunity abounds if you're in the right areas and can "add value" to the enterprise as a whole. Work/Life balance is exemplary and the total compensation packages are good IF you were hired before the pension was cut off. Stock options are ok but not in the same league that they were a few years ago. They're nice to have but they're not life changers anymore.

Cons

Internal politics rule. It doesn't matter how much revenue you make for IHS, if your face doesn't fit with your current boss then you're done in the next lay off round. Unbelievably bad revenue recognition / tracking within the internal process. It's possible to absorb 100% of cost and be credited with 0% revenue when working across the business - this leads to culling people who make a difference while retaining deadwood. After recent events I personally will never attend a mission/values event - We don't live the values that we preach.

We need more domain expertise.
    Are we an insight company that adds value to data or a data company that sells software to visualize it ?

There are newer employer reviews for IHS