Simple Job, Just Really Busy

Current Employee - Bistro Co-worker in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Bistro Co-worker in Tampa, FL

I have been working at IKEA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ikea puts a lot of money into their employees especially my personal favorite the subsidized coworker meal. Easy to work with schedule. Very Competent Coworkers in comparison to previous jobs. Some days are very slow, allowing you to take care of cleaning and prep that you wouldn't normally be able to do. Despite working less hours a week, I make more than I did previously. The rate I started at is higher than the wage cap was at my last job.

Cons

Busy, The Bistro can get very busy and customers get irate easily on those days. The Customers are a step down from previous jobs, more irate and difficult. Some customers are foreign and demand you accept foreign currency even though I have no authority to accept it or even have currency conversion rates with me.

Advice to Management

Let applicants know how long it could take to proceed with the application process. The time I waited in between the steps in the process were almost agonizing thinking I'm no longer being considered.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Ikea

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at IKEA part-time

Pros

Reasonable pay and great benefits

Cons

Bad leadership and demanding customers

Great culture, but pay is lacking

Current Employee - Sales Coworker-showroom in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Coworker-showroom in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at IKEA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, extensive training, wonderful benefits. Sales is fun and interactive, especially in the showroom (markethall and self serve is much more physically intense). I've learned so much here! Better retail experience than most. Job security = peace of mind. No barriers between upper management and coworkers - you're free to share ideas and concerns without repercussion. Great environment!

Cons

- Schedule is never consistent, and it's hard to get a weekend off - Pay is minimal if you're not at management, and annual raises are measly- I started at $10 and 3 years later, only make $11 - No commission makes it hard for coworkers to stay motivated- you'll make the same amount if you slack off than if you work your hardest - Very hard to move into management position since there is very little turnover in those positions

Advice to Management

Reward your best coworkers with higher wages!