IM Flash Technologies

There are newer employer reviews for IM Flash Technologies

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Lehi, UT
Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good possibilities for Promotion and Education

Cons

Part of a volatile industry that fluxuates growth and decline rapidly

119 Other Employee Reviews for IM Flash Technologies (View Most Recent)

Do Not Practice What They Preach. Will Become Another Micron Fab Soon.

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good job for someone right out of college that wants to live in Utah.
    Bonus plan is good on paper.
    Engineers that recruit are good at attracting people at colleges and making this look like a great company to work for.

Cons

No long term career prospects for someone starting new at the company.
    Just about everyone promoted to, or in management are either Micron old boys, or people who have sucked up to those who are. Management already has ideas of who should be promoted to where and interviews are a waste of time and hopes to those not part of the pre-determined moves.
    When being recruited we were told that bonuses, pay raises, and promotions were said to be based on performance. The company convieniently bases a yearly raise on market conditions, or freezes them entirely.
    The core values that everyone is supposed to live by and are held to definitely don't apply to upper management (engineering managers and above).
    Consistent inability to meet goals, learn from mistakes, or have a strategy directed by leadership on how to improve. Most middle managers are checked out, and those leaders with progressive ideas seem to be blown off by the closed management system above them. I am surprised that this company continues to operate and many of us are looking for opportunities elsewhere.

It is clear that Intel will pull out of this venture soon and this will become another Micron fab. With Micron having Singapore fabs with historically higher yield records manufacture NAND now, this paints a bleak picture for the Lehi site. The top site managers need to clean house to get some middle managers on board who can execute on company objectives and keep the Lehi site competitive. When the two engineering managers aren't even on speaking terms and foster infighting between their groups there can be no way that this facility can compete with two collaborating fabs in Singapore. Just about every middle manager is in a role a level or two higher than they are competent at.

Waiting for two year mark so I can leave

Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good technical experience to list on resume.
    If you like skiing and the outdoors this is a good place for that.
    Work schedule gives you a lot of time off to pursue hobbies or education.

Cons

The company paid for me to move here when I graduated. They made me sign an agreement that if I left before two years I would have to repay all of the costs. I asked my supervisor how much that would be and he said he didn't know, but we tried to add up what we thought it could be and it could have been around $10k. I'll just stay until the two year mark and then leave. I am not alone with this attitude. There are rumors of layoffs and Intel pulling out. Not hitting yield goals ever, and lack of management skill has a lot of us looking for other jobs. Management pushes and pushes and pushes, and we have an environment of fear but don't feel like there is any direction. We were already told via email that we're not getting any bonuses or pay raises next year. That's after when I got hired I was told that we always get at least 80% of bonuses.
    What the company represents while recruiting is completely different from how they operate. I almost felt like I showed up at the wrong company once I started. They represented living by core values and being a technology leader, but we wear pagers (seriously!), can't use the Internet or any social media at work, and are threatened that our IM's are being monitored. It doesn't seem like a technology leader while at work and I wonder what it's like at other tech companies.
    Utah is a very disappointing place to live. The people here are some of the rudest I have ever come across anywhere. They have an attitude that they are better than you, are very judgemental, and consider traffic an opportunity to either recklessly or purposefully scare you into staying off the road. You also see it in any public place and I am very happy that I'll leave before starting a family here. There are a lot of homers here that are from the area or came from Micron in Boise, but most of the people that relocated from other places hate it here. You'll never see more people that feel entitled than in Utah.

I don't know where to start. I feel misled from the company that I envisioned when I accepted a job than what I ended up with. And then it was too late and I was stuck because I didn't have thousands of dollars to buy my way out of indentured servitude.
    There is absolutely no advancement opportunity for new college graduates or people that weren't from Micron.
    It is clear that teamwork is not demonstrated across departments. There is open infighting and people just covering for themselves, or being openly hostile and attacking others. I don't know that you can give advice to the current management team because they are either not capable of change, or would just protect themselves or blame others before accepting responsibility for anything. Most of the newer engineers have very little faith in the long term future of this company and are looking at this as getting a couple of years of tech experience on your resume before moving on.

There are newer employer reviews for IM Flash Technologies