IMS Consulting Group

www.imsconsultinggroup.com
  www.imsconsultinggroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for IMS Consulting Group

Intellectual work with great teams and smart people

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at IMS Consulting Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Professional development, opportunities for leadership and promotion, meritocracy. Social and team based environment.

Cons

Like all consulting jobs, hours are long and work is very busy. Always something to do by yesterday!

24 Other Employee Reviews for IMS Consulting Group (View Most Recent)

An organization on the verge of major transformation (in a good way)!

Current Employee - Principal
    Current Employee - Principal

I have been working at IMS Consulting Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Deep industry insight, contacts/experience at every pharma company on the planet, extraordinary offerings compared to other consulting firms

Cons

Consulting group is rebuilding so the culture is still in a flux. Cross-functional coordination is still a work-in-progress, but once this is addressed, it should be quite a boom time.

Continue to hire high-speed individuals. Consider doing more advertising and promotion to build the Consulting Group brand beyond just IMS Health.

Poor senior management, but good opportunity to learn about pharma

I have been working at IMS Consulting Group full-time

Pros

-Flexibility to work remotely, as long as you're not close to deadlines/on a project with a short timeline.
    -Excellent junior staff. All all intelligent and hard-working. The vast majority come from top schools.
    -Many learning opportunities. Very easy to take bigger roles on projects.
    -Good exposure to clients, but it is dependent on team/project manager.
    -Great opportunity to learn about pharma.
    -Solid exit opportunities in big pharma, at all levels. Employees also seem to have decent business school exit opportunities.
    -Good reputation in pharma.
    -Minimal travel.

Cons

-Senior management is terrible. They're nice people, but there's also this prevailing sentiment that "senior management is so busy that they can't be bothered to talk to you." They would often give us ad-hoc requests without enough information to complete the request successfully. They would fail to request work in advance, leaving us cramming to finish everything in a short amount of time. They don't even remember their own commitments - I once had a manager scold me for not reminding him to finish a client deliverable. Am I your office assistant?
    -You have no personal life. You are always on call. Sure, people may come into the office at 9:45 and leave at 5:30, but do expect to work at home, especially if you're on a project where the senior manager is heavily involved. I've had requests at 8pm on Sunday to finish by Monday morning. I once was placed on a hectic project where I had to get up every day at 4am to finish deliverables for a team in a different time zone. I didn't complain because I felt so bad for my project manager, who would send me messages at 3am her time. Somehow, I doubt the senior team cared - after all, they're only SELLING the work, not DOING it.
    -Learning opportunities are only in pharma (at least in the US), something I did not realize when I signed with IMS. It's a shame, because I really wanted to learn more about the patient/physician side.
    -Bonuses are a joke. I don't understand how a bonus so small is any incentive to work harder.

-Attrition rate is horrible. In 1 year, 75% of people hired were gone. In 2 years, 90% of people hired were gone. I think IMS does a great job of hiring smart people, but smart people aren't going to stay if they have better exit opportunities. Here is what can make IMS more attractive to new hires:
    -Reevaluate senior management. Maybe they're great at selling work, but they're impossible to work with. Evaluate their performance on not just how much work they sell, but also how good they are at interacting with people lower in the organization. Poor senior management is the number 1 reason I left.
    -Improve salaries and salary growth. Why stay at IMS when I can change careers, get a starting salary 1.5-2x what I had, and then get much better salary growth every year?
    -Alternately, promote work-life balance. I realize top-tier consulting firms are horrible at this as well, but they pay at least 33% more than IMS (starter salary) and have fewer "filler roles" like "Senior Consultant".

There are newer employer reviews for IMS Consulting Group