There are newer employer reviews for IMS Health

Frustrating at times, but a notable improvement vs. 2 years ago. Employees have to be in it for the long haul.

Current Employee - Technical Architect  in  Collegeville, PA
Current Employee - Technical Architect in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at IMS Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

+ Work / Life balance in most non-consulting positions
+ Death-march projects are rare to non-existent. Putting your career on cruise-control is possible while still inching up the compensation ladder.
+ Benefits
+ In all but one role I've been in, the immediate co-workers and managers watch your back

Cons

- Career advancement is slow paced; much like the environment.
- Autonomy has to be fiercely fought for and defended at every turn.
- Technologist culture is still stuck back in the 80's, but at least now pays lip service to modernity.
- Sr. Management still has no good way to accurately value knowledge workers. In-sourcing to India is an overall improvement vs outsourcing, but still can't compare to real, co-located development teams in the US and EMEA where the majority of development is done.
- Many of the highest value employees have found that the only way to get proper compensation is to leave and come back, or leave and become a consultant; many just simply leave.

There is still an inconsistency between the stated strategies of product leadership and customer centricity and the actual budgets. There's a difference between being cost conscious and being penny-wise, pound-poor. We employees need to hear that while top-line driven EBITDA growth is the motive, and will drive the terminal value when the company is sold / re-IPO'ed, it's not the goal. Revenue growth isn't treated like a consequence of the right strategy and action.
The "hub and spoke" model is still resulting in functional silos and is frankly not working. I strongly believe that all portfolio and infrastructure projects can be done in a local, federated fashion by co-located teams and that technology principles and standards can drive consistency and reuse internationally. If we are a technology company, and our success is measured by the amount of functionality within working software that we deliver, then we need to abandon the silo-ed approach and hire more, real software developers who are generalists and polyglots.

228 Other Employee Reviews for IMS Health (View Most Recent)

IMS HEALTH

I worked at IMS Health

Pros

Stable company, available e-learning courses

Cons

Dependent on Pharmaceutical companies contracts

develop training program

Good company to work for if you're not too worried about career progression

Current Employee - Engagement Manager  in  Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at IMS Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1) Not too much bureaucracy on the consulting side
    2) Decent compensation package

Cons

1) No real innovation or market leading strategies
    2) No real career path defined within consulting/services
    3) Constant reshuffling of organization without any clear definition as to goal

Bring a robust career planning process to bear so that employees can see a path for growth. Find ways of fostering innovation rather than sticking with the tried and true, and provide incentives to consultants who get the job done more profitably.

There are newer employer reviews for IMS Health

Worked for IMS Health? Contribute to the Community!