IRS
www.irs.gov Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

Challenging

Internal Revenue Agent (Current Employee)
Tucson, AZ

I have been working at IRS

ProsWork/life balance is the best you can get (but see the flip-side to this coin below).
Job security is the best you can get..
The training is good (big $ spent on that) and if you apply yourself you can quickly become an expert in both tax and audit.
Interesting work (if you pick a good city, you will get to work with a variety of different industries).

ConsIt's a 40-hour/week job. Period. And you will get paid the same as everyone else at your grade, regardless of individual accomplishment. No opportunity to earn more and promotion within the grade/step system is based on seniority.
Performance is graded by ability to follow the IRM, not by results ($), which is frustrating for those who are results-oriented, but admittedly, I can't think of a better alternative.
Requires a high-tolerance for mindless paperwork, most of it merely for evaluative purposes (e.g., check sheets to "prove" to the case reviewers that you followed the required steps in the audit).

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall I think they are doing a good job, but work to eliminate excessive paperwork and job satisfaction will increase.

Decent, unremarkable but great co-workers (for the most part)

Office Assistant (Current Employee)
New Carrollton, MD

I have been working at IRS

Pros: Great benefits, great co-workers, great building (located right next to… Cons: Only interested in boosting completion of task numbers, and once you meet a goal they keep increasing,… Advice to Senior Management: A results-only work method leaves the employees tired, frustrated, and… More

Always something new to learn after 32 years and worked at ten different jobs with more pay along the way

National Analyst (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

I have been working at IRS

Pros: Variety of work locations, public service, thrift savings plan for… Cons: Uncertainty of congressional priorities and vulnerability to political change Advice to Senior Management: Spend more to improve software / hardware / automation Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on IRS.

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IRS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IRS CEO John Koskinen . All reviews posted anonymously by IRS employees.