IRS

www.irs.gov
  www.irs.gov
There are newer employer reviews for IRS

Slow to change, good work life balance

Current Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at IRS

Pros

You will rarely feel pressured to work long hours, and the managers are supportive of employees. While you may start at a low salary, it increases regularly and substantially depending on the position.

Cons

Slow to change, and not a great deal of room to advance to a leadership position.

409 Other Employee Reviews for IRS (View Most Recent)

Challenging

Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at IRS

Pros

Work/life balance is the best you can get (but see the flip-side to this coin below).
    Job security is the best you can get..
    The training is good (big $ spent on that) and if you apply yourself you can quickly become an expert in both tax and audit.
    Interesting work (if you pick a good city, you will get to work with a variety of different industries).

Cons

It's a 40-hour/week job. Period. And you will get paid the same as everyone else at your grade, regardless of individual accomplishment. No opportunity to earn more and promotion within the grade/step system is based on seniority.
    Performance is graded by ability to follow the IRM, not by results ($), which is frustrating for those who are results-oriented, but admittedly, I can't think of a better alternative.
    Requires a high-tolerance for mindless paperwork, most of it merely for evaluative purposes (e.g., check sheets to "prove" to the case reviewers that you followed the required steps in the audit).

Overall I think they are doing a good job, but work to eliminate excessive paperwork and job satisfaction will increase.

A good place to work if you want work-life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at IRS

Pros

Collaborative decision making, extremely broad range of issues to research and gain expertise on (you won't get assigned to working foreign tax credit issues for a year, like happens at Big 4), fairly flat work organization. I disagree with many other posters that pay raises are based on seniority alone - I have had several merit increases and get other bonuses in years when I am prevented from receiving a merit (permanent) salary increase.

Cons

Aging workforce and management. Incredibly techno-phobic workplace. The IRS solution to Information Tech is to block it, prevent it, ignore it, all while saying they need to do this to maintain taxpayer confidence. This issue comes up regularly at mtgs with taxpayers, who shake their head in amazement at how backward the IRS systems are.

Get real about IT. Hire outside vendors and let them propose to upper management what the possible solutions are, then work top down to make sure it happens. Give your employees the analytical, research and IT tools to do their jobs, so that they can compete better with sophisticated taxpayers.

There are newer employer reviews for IRS