There are newer employer reviews for IRS

Trying to Find Another Job Before I Can't Get Out of Bed and Face It Another Day

Current Employee - Tax Examiner
Current Employee - Tax Examiner

I have been working at IRS

Pros

Pros- Great work/life balance, flexible work schedule, nice gym, steady employment. Good benefits, although health care costs are not as cheap as people think.

Cons

Cons- Too many to mention. The main ones are, antiquated systems, particularly IT, managers who are functional at best, and at worst, horribly incompetent, hateful, uneducated, racist/sexist, or just watching the clock to retirement, no room for any sort of new, "out of the box" thinking, overworked (constant, endless overtime), work priorities change a minimum of 3 times a day, after each conference call. There seem to be nearly as many managers/leads as employees. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when nearly all of the employees have at least a Bachelor's Degree, or better, and not one of the managers does. Many seem to be intimidated by knowledge. Simple solutions are met with great skepticism/naysaying- especially anything that involves using a computer to transform raw data into something useful.

Advice to Management

I know the whole system is based on "merit", but there'a a real problem with the "Peter Principle". It's not just that they've been promoted to their level of incompetence, they've been promoted one or two grades beyond that. Educated, talented employees who came in during the recession will leave as soon as they are able since they are not valued or wanted here. And that's too bad. The IRS could really use these people.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great work life balance

I have been working at IRS

Pros

Telecommuting, time off for family, comradery. Overall, management is very fair and takes an interest in employees' welfare and life quality. Lots of opportunities to learn new things .

Cons

Not much opportunity for advancement. Sometimes management seems to pick favorites as far as awards and promotions. There is also a good deal of political divide between employees.

2. The job description in the announcement didn't match the actual work duties.

I have been working at IRS

Pros

The job was repetitive, although rather easy--answering phones. The half-hour lunch made the day go by quickly. I also found the people that worked there kind and very helpful.

Cons

The job was repetitive--answering calls from people who failed to make a selection in the phone tree. During tax season, you are talking to just about anybody. Be prepared.

Advice to Management

Best to be upfront about the job you are offering. Some individuals from the recruitment quit because the job description misrepresented the duties later performed. A greater variety of job duties would have made it more worth my while. I received income, but gained no new skills and, sadly, feel I am no better for the experience.