IRS

www.irs.gov
  www.irs.gov
There are newer employer reviews for IRS

Trying to Find Another Job Before I Can't Get Out of Bed and Face It Another Day

Current Employee - Tax Examiner
Current Employee - Tax Examiner

I have been working at IRS

Pros

Pros- Great work/life balance, flexible work schedule, nice gym, steady employment. Good benefits, although health care costs are not as cheap as people think.

Cons

Cons- Too many to mention. The main ones are, antiquated systems, particularly IT, managers who are functional at best, and at worst, horribly incompetent, hateful, uneducated, racist/sexist, or just watching the clock to retirement, no room for any sort of new, "out of the box" thinking, overworked (constant, endless overtime), work priorities change a minimum of 3 times a day, after each conference call.

There seem to be nearly as many managers/leads as employees. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when nearly all of the employees have at least a Bachelor's Degree, or better, and not one of the managers does. Many seem to be intimidated by knowledge. Simple solutions are met with great skepticism/naysaying- especially anything that involves using a computer to transform raw data into something useful.

I know the whole system is based on "merit", but there'a a real problem with the "Peter Principle". It's not just that they've been promoted to their level of incompetence, they've been promoted one or two grades beyond that. Educated, talented employees who came in during the recession will leave as soon as they are able since they are not valued or wanted here. And that's too bad. The IRS could really use these people.

408 Other Employee Reviews for IRS (View Most Recent)

Taxing

Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent
    Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent

I have been working at IRS

Pros

Work life balance is good. You do your 40 and you are done. The benefits are fine and the job is not super difficult, it has all been done before. It is not rocket science. I have heard this is the best entry position at the IRS.

Cons

It seems like everyone is clueless. When researching something, there is no one source to obtain information. A search using the internal system can lead you in the wrong direction because no one goes through and updates information. The work load can be tough, I am always busy but somehow, there are employees that can spend hours talking and still manage to complain that they do too much work. The training is conducted without the goal of teaching but the goal of saying something was taught. Much of the work seems that way, the focus is on going through the motions.

Make the job easier by providing a one-stop-shop source for information. In our office, the manager has to get employees to do hours of research to teach the rest of the office procedure because there is no one place to research how to complete a task.

The job description in the announcement didn't match the actual work duties.

I have been working at IRS

Pros

The job was repetitive, although rather easy--answering phones. The half-hour lunch made the day go by quickly. I also found the people that worked there kind and very helpful.

Cons

The job was repetitive--answering calls from people who failed to make a selection in the phone tree. During tax season, you are talking to just about anybody. Be prepared.

Best to be upfront about the job you are offering. Some individuals from the recruitment quit because the job description misrepresented the duties later performed. A greater variety of job duties would have made it more worth my while. I received income, but gained no new skills and, sadly, feel I am no better for the experience.

There are newer employer reviews for IRS