There are newer employer reviews for IRS

Pretty good company to work for

Current Employee - IRS Contact Representative in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - IRS Contact Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IRS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits. Quick promotions

Cons

Furloughs, budget cuts due to sequestration

Advice to Management

None

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Okay starting point for entry into government service; however, there are more better agencies than this one.

Current Employee - Correspondence Examination Technician in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Correspondence Examination Technician in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at IRS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stability, 40 Hour Workweek, Overtime, Benefits

Cons

Lack of diversity in all aspects - depending on your area, you may not be able to bring your whole self to work. I am talking about all the positive and unique attributes that enable an individual to advance the purpose of the agency. Favortism and Nepotism - too many family members and friends forming a village which keeps potentially more qualified applicants outside the circle for hiring in available positions and most importantly details which are the main vehicle for obtaining specialized experience to advance within the agency. Discrimination and Racism - sure there are laws against it but what do people do when laws are implemented - they find a way around it legally. The IRS has over 20 business units and within those units are multiple factions which makes the agency like a box of chocolates. Some areas are better than others; but, unfortunately, there is a lack of communication and networking between the business units which makes it difficult to find out what the work culture and environment is actually like unless you know someone in that department. I worked as a Transcriber and Tax Examiner in Submission Processing and in Accounts Management as a clerk. If someone had warned me, I would have went back into corporate immediately. I have 25 years of work experience with only 8 in government with this agency. Not ever have I seen such a backwards operation. Lack of Training - the alignment of course materials with the actual work needs to be better organized. I was fortunate in that my training lasted for several months. Most hired employees are lucky if they get 2-3 months. The instructors are people who volunteer which does not often breed an environment of excellence. Technology - the computer software programs and equipment goes on the fritz constantly resulting in time loss to assist taxpayers and process case workloads. Employee Engagement - non-existent and severely lacking

Advice to Management

Quit holding panels, town hall meetings, and fostering teams and focus groups to discuss the problems within and actually start doing something about it instead. People are talked out and it is time to take action about the serious issues plaguing this organization. Quit hiring and elevating the same types of individuals who are/were responsible for driving the car into the ditch in the first place. Create an environment that fosters fairness, equality, and transparency in all matters for employees in all ranks from the mailrooms to the executive office; then, perhaps, the IRS might be in the upper echelon of best places in government to work instead of in the lower half.

2. The experience working at the IRS is one of a kind there are way to achieve any goal with the help that is available.

Current Employee - Data Transcriber in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Data Transcriber in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at IRS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The growth and advancement are great.

Cons

I think the same with any career the will only be a con if you want it to be.

Advice to Management

The hiring process should be expedited. It believe once you have everything needed you should let people know whether or not they are needed instead of a long waiting period.