IRS

www.irs.gov
There are newer employer reviews for IRS

Pretty good company to work for

Current Employee - IRS Contact Representative in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - IRS Contact Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits. Quick promotions

Cons

Furloughs, budget cuts due to sequestration

None

424 Other Employee Reviews for IRS (View Most Recent)

Okay starting point for entry into government service; however, there are more better agencies than this one.

Current Employee - Correspondence Examination Technician in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Correspondence Examination Technician in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stability, 40 Hour Workweek, Overtime, Benefits

Cons

Lack of diversity in all aspects - depending on your area, you may not be able to bring your whole self to work. I am talking about all the positive and unique attributes that enable an individual to advance the purpose of the agency.
    Favortism and Nepotism - too many family members and friends forming a village which keeps potentially more qualified applicants outside the circle for hiring in available positions and most importantly details which are the main vehicle for obtaining specialized experience to advance within the agency.
    Discrimination and Racism - sure there are laws against it but what do people do when laws are implemented - they find a way around it legally. The IRS has over 20 business units and within those units are multiple factions which makes the agency like a box of chocolates. Some areas are better than others; but, unfortunately, there is a lack of communication and networking between the business units which makes it difficult to find out what the work culture and environment is actually like unless you know someone in that department. I worked as a Transcriber and Tax Examiner in Submission Processing and in Accounts Management as a clerk. If someone had warned me, I would have went back into corporate immediately. I have 25 years of work experience with only 8 in government with this agency. Not ever have I seen such a backwards operation.
    Lack of Training - the alignment of course materials with the actual work needs to be better organized. I was fortunate in that my training lasted for several months. Most hired employees are lucky if they get 2-3 months. The instructors are people who volunteer which does not often breed an environment of excellence.
    Technology - the computer software programs and equipment goes on the fritz constantly resulting in time loss to assist taxpayers and process case workloads.
    Employee Engagement - non-existent and severely lacking

Quit holding panels, town hall meetings, and fostering teams and focus groups to discuss the problems within and actually start doing something about it instead. People are talked out and it is time to take action about the serious issues plaguing this organization. Quit hiring and elevating the same types of individuals who are/were responsible for driving the car into the ditch in the first place. Create an environment that fosters fairness, equality, and transparency in all matters for employees in all ranks from the mailrooms to the executive office; then, perhaps, the IRS might be in the upper echelon of best places in government to work instead of in the lower half.

It is as bad as you think it would be

Former Employee - Federal Contact Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Federal Contact Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at IRS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The IRS is never going out of business, so job security is there if you want it. Except for the management, the people I worked with were nice folks. They enjoyed talking about how terrible the environment was as much as I did.

Cons

Management is brutal. If you're not on top, you're life is going to be very regulated. I was once lectured for being 2 minutes late from my 15 minute break. It took 5 minutes each way on the elevator, so grabbing a coffee across the street was nearly impossible. Lunch was only 30 minutes (minus 10 for that elevator trip). The only place to eat that quickly was in your cube, or at the Federal building cafeteria where food goes to die. Bathroom breaks were discouraged if they were outside your 15 minute regularly scheduled break. You could put in a request for a schedule, but requests were granted by seniority. It didn't matter what time your kids came home from school. Because budgets are determined by Congress, everything was tight. The office supply closet included yellow number 2 pencils and paper. You got two pencils -- two.

Don't be so mean. You have smart people working for you.

There are newer employer reviews for IRS