ISA (International Studies Abroad)

www.studiesabroad.com
Engaged Employer
There are newer employer reviews for ISA (International Studies Abroad)

I have enjoyed being able to work in this amazing place with amazing people, while moving up the ladder.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Program Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at ISA (International Studies Abroad)

Pros

ISA is very innovative in terms of what we are doing in the field of study abroad. It's great to be a part of it! I also love working with my colleagues, who have similar knowledge and experience. It's a fun, vibrant company to be a part of! I have been working here for several years, and ISA continues to challenge me and to also promote me. I have been here for over five years, and from my experience if you work hard, you will reap the benefits here! I really enjoy coming in to work everyday.

Cons

I wish the work hours were more flexible, but I know that we need to be here during certain times to be available to advisers and students. Overall ISA is very understanding if you need personal time off, so it's not really a big deal.

Advice to Management

I have really enjoyed working with the management team over the years. I like how they will choose colleagues to form committees to have us all work together on projects. It's a great way to improve what's already great at ISA. I think they do an excellent job of keeping us in the loop about goings on at ISA. A few years ago, I would have had more advice and feedback, but currently I think they do an excellent job, and they are all very approachable.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A great learning opportunity but quickly outgrown with very little upward mobility.

I have been working at ISA (International Studies Abroad)

Pros

The ability to work with many different departments and on projects that vary in nature. This provides employees with the opportunity to become very multifaceted and flexible. Being surrounded by vibrant and passionate colleagues that inspire.

Cons

Decisions appear to lack careful consideration and leave many employees uneasy about their job and the stability of the company. Rather than being a proactive company, the senior level management seems to favor a reactive method of business. Employees are not recognized for the work that they do, but rather reprimanded when numbers or productivity begin to slip. Management is carried out through scare tactics that are more than likely a reaction of the management style they themselves are receiving from the very top. Instead of looking for the root of the problems within the organization and determining what changes need to be made, the "shove it under the rug" approach is taken by distracting employees with a happy hour and unrealistic amounts of work. What were bright and revolutionary beings, are now jaded or unknowingly biased employees. Absolutely no effort or money is put into the personal and professional development of the staff. As proof, you only receive five days of paid vacation a year your first year (Barely enough time to make it overseas). If a study abroad company does not value the importance of a two-week vacation to a staff full of passionate wanderers, then there is a serious disconnect between those that institute the rules and those that make this company the successful and quality company it has become. In this globalizing market, a company of this "turn and burn" nature will not survive unless it begins to look for longevity in its investments. No, longevity is not cheap, but it's sturdy.

Fun working environment, but not sustainable for more than a couple of years

I have been working at ISA (International Studies Abroad)

Pros

Young, enthusiastic, passionate and dedicated staff. Employees quickly bond and form friendships which makes for a fun working environment. For most there is quite a bit of room to move and grow within the company, although they are usually lateral movements. The fast paced working environment requires a lot of flexibility and adaptability. A great place to work for young professionals starting their careers as they can gain a lot of experience in different areas.

Cons

Very little vacation time. Relatively low salaries. Lacking in structure, human resources, training and professional development. Most employees do not stay in the company for more than two years.

Advice to Management

Investing more time, money and resources into the employees could be very beneficial in the long run. Having more structure in the hiring process with set qualifications for the positions could also help in setting employee expectations.