There are newer employer reviews for ITT Educational Services

Toxic Work Environment

I worked at ITT Educational Services

Pros

You can reach some students and make a difference in their lives.

Cons

This is the most toxic place I have ever worked in my life. I understand that due to the economy sometime we all have to take a job that under normal circumstances we would not take. I would urge anyone who is thinking about working at ITT to think again. I was a former Program Chair.

We are expected to get 1 out of every 10 students who drops out to reenter. If we do not reach this goal we are told it is because we are not a good teacher and the students do not relate to us well. All teachers, including adjuncts, are expected to call every absent student and document the results of the call. We are also evaluated heavily on attendance. If a student does not come to class because he is in a car wreck or some other major calamity it is our fault for not being engaging enough in the classroom. We are expected to accept late work that would never be accepted in a traditional academic setting. We were told indirectly if we did not take the late work the student would fail and may drop out.

We were expected to endure verbal abuse and insubordination from students with no support from the administration. Where I worked at one student was insubordinate / verbally combative to three faculty members. Three additional faculty members in my department stated they did not want to teach this student. All six of us can not be crazy. This was brought to the administrations attention and no action was taken against this student. This acquiescence on the part of the administration insures that this practice by the students will continue.
You are given unrealistic goals that you have no control over. In ITT’s most recent report to stockholders they give a laundry list of reasons that they were unable to achieve certain goals due to factors that were, “outside of their control.” If an employee at ITT were to even postulate such a theory they would be eviscerated by management.

Stop setting unrealistic goals. If you can come up with an excuse to your stock holders for a 19% reduction in student enrollment, do not then hold the local campuses for the results of strategic advertising decisions they do not have input into.

29 Other Employee Reviews for ITT Educational Services (View Most Recent)

Always told it would get better but it never did after 3+ years

Former Employee - Financial Aid Coordinator
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Coordinator

I worked at ITT Educational Services

Pros

It was great helping students find funding for school. I believe they offer a good education to non traditional students. It is very career focused and a great school for the right person.

Cons

There is a complete disconnect between Headquarters and the campus'. They don't even consider the students students, they consider them customers. Our employee turnover was through the roof. In my three years there I had six bosses and one of those bosses was there almost two years!! I was the most tenured FAC in my first five months. I was not given an opportunity to move up until the end and it was because I was already doing the job of my boss and was the one who trained her. So when she quit I was an easy replacement. I turned down the promotion, they set everyone up for failure. HQ does not allow the maangers at the campus level to actually make decisions. They are just babysitters with low pay.

Headquarters needs to come back to reality and realize that when we are recruiting low income students, $50k for a two year education is out of this world!!!! You are cutting the campus' off at the knees and making it more difficutl to perform with all the restrictions. Not to mention that we can never hold private lenders and cannot get the students in without some form of payment. Hello, the students are low income, a lot of them don't even have a place to live! Stop giving yourselfs massive bonus' and put it back into the campus'!!

Learn a lot about how deceiving and "riff-off" the business of private post secondary can be

Current Employee - Functional (Top) Management On Campus
    Current Employee - Functional (Top) Management On Campus

I have been working at ITT Educational Services

Pros

The self-paced online trainings are frequent and relevant to the position.

Cons

ITT is in the profit making business, not the education business. Staff are stressed out trying to keep students enrolled only so the college can keep collecting tuition money rather than give the students a good education. We are told to give passing grades to students so they can continue their education (when really i tis so ITT can continue to collect). Of course many of theses students end up with degrees they did little work to get becasue ITT is only interested to make them pass (not learn) hence its emphasis on student success. The whole cuture is about getting tuition income not about give students a quality education. They are expensive, students end up with large debts and can't get good paying jobs to pay back loans, while ITT ends up with their money and gets richer and richer. Shareholders are happy. Students remain jobless and burdened with debt for their overpriced ITT education. There needs to be some regulation in private post secondary education. It is imoral.

Close down shop and stop ripping off students to line your pockets. The quality of your programs do not compare to the cost. It pained my heart to do the work with the Director breathing down my back about increasing tuition income. (tuition income is increased when students are happy and satisfied with what they are getting for the dimes - hence they stay rather than we having to run after tham). And how about you properly train your campus directors who deal in stressing their subordinates for the sake of keep the campus in top categories. A stressed-out employee is not an effective employee.

There are newer employer reviews for ITT Educational Services