There are newer employer reviews for ITT Educational Services

Stratified thinking at the top - "old boys" network; sub-executives used as scapegoats

I worked at ITT Educational Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good quality of staff, corporate HQ convenient, few wholesale staff RIFs. There is sufficient funding to execute on reasonable goals, and there is an interest in staying with current technology across all divisions and departments.

Cons

Questionable business practices; forfeiting integrity for profit, middle-to-upper management should expect to be burned/churned to insulate senior leadership.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility for decisions - bad ones, as well as good. Empower capable staff, and exercise integrity-based direction versus herculean goals and blame spreading.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

From Respected Recruiter to "Fill the Funnel" Telemarketer

Former Employee - Admissions Representative
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative

I worked at ITT Educational Services full-time

Pros

Pay was good, enjoyed working with the students. Nice up-dated modern facilities. Great bunch of fellow employees to work with.

Cons

Poor management techniques, numbers driven regardless of what's best for the student. Forced 3x3 calling like telemarketers ruining local school's reputation.

Advice to Management

Get rid of people developing leads and use of "Viral Marketing" Too many people in upper management with no previous college experience. Too much trial and error and ultimate failure.

Toxic Work Environment

I worked at ITT Educational Services

Pros

You can reach some students and make a difference in their lives.

Cons

This is the most toxic place I have ever worked in my life. I understand that due to the economy sometime we all have to take a job that under normal circumstances we would not take. I would urge anyone who is thinking about working at ITT to think again. I was a former Program Chair.

We are expected to get 1 out of every 10 students who drops out to reenter. If we do not reach this goal we are told it is because we are not a good teacher and the students do not relate to us well. All teachers, including adjuncts, are expected to call every absent student and document the results of the call. We are also evaluated heavily on attendance. If a student does not come to class because he is in a car wreck or some other major calamity it is our fault for not being engaging enough in the classroom. We are expected to accept late work that would never be accepted in a traditional academic setting. We were told indirectly if we did not take the late work the student would fail and may drop out.

We were expected to endure verbal abuse and insubordination from students with no support from the administration. Where I worked at one student was insubordinate / verbally combative to three faculty members. Three additional faculty members in my department stated they did not want to teach this student. All six of us can not be crazy. This was brought to the administrations attention and no action was taken against this student. This acquiescence on the part of the administration insures that this practice by the students will continue.
    You are given unrealistic goals that you have no control over. In ITT’s most recent report to stockholders they give a laundry list of reasons that they were unable to achieve certain goals due to factors that were, “outside of their control.” If an employee at ITT were to even postulate such a theory they would be eviscerated by management.

Advice to Management

Stop setting unrealistic goals. If you can come up with an excuse to your stock holders for a 19% reduction in student enrollment, do not then hold the local campuses for the results of strategic advertising decisions they do not have input into.