ITT Systems
www.ittsystems.com Colorado Springs, CO

Qualified Competent Professionals Need Not Apply to Afghanistan Positions

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO

ProsAble to support the Armed Forces in war zones; tax benefit for being an ex-pat during a calendar year; if you are in I.T. only work here for 1 or more of the following 3 reasons: if you are inexperienced in your field and want to gain entry-level experience, if you want to support the armed forces/are patriotic, are desperate for money. If you are established & experienced in your field stateside - stay there or you will carry 99% of the work load while the inexperienced employees surf the net all day & complain about everything else while management does absolutely nothing. Employees do not get fired except for drug, alcohol or sexual offenses. Incompetency will gain them transfers - and, yes (I swear) promotions to higher level positions! Qualified employees get burned out quickly - often resulting in them simply quitting to go back stateside or to a better paying employer - and ITT management does not care one iota bout losing qualified/hard working employers.

ConsPoorly managed (and often, just a lack of management altogether), from the top down; hiring of extremely incompetent workers; heavy work load on the few competent workers that exist; pay significantly less than competing employers; Unsafe living conditions (I know its a war zone - but living in moldy safe houses prone to attack - and forbidden from being armed - is unsat)

Advice to Senior ManagementHire PROVEN leaders in the I.T. field. Promoting from within is fine on occasion - but should NOT be the sole method for hiring any/all management personnel (not just in I.T.). Leads should be hired AS leads, Senior personnel should be hired AS senior personnel, and managers should be hired AS managers. Tasking people with no skill or desire as a lead/senior/manager yields poor results. Additionally, hire qualified & competent workers and quit filling slots by selecting any warm body that can aquire a clearance. Ensure your personnel aware aware of ALL policies & procedures instead of sharing this knowledge AFTER the fact (sending out the occasional PIOP is unsat. Make them ALL available to ALL users. Also ensure personnel are using CURRENT forms/paperwork (ie, I submitted a Leave Request form - approved at all levels of my site - 5 months in advance - only to learn that ITT no longer is authorized for MILAIR flight to Europe - yet, the form clearly stated ITT Employees were authorized to fly to places such as Frankfurt or Ramstein, Germany. This resulted in a loss to myself of over $3,000 and cancelling of much needed R&R. Management simply did not care or offer to make ammends for their mistake.)
I read these reivews prior to signing on with ITT, assuming many were from persons who had not deployed before, or simply held a personal grudge. I am a Navy vet who had been deployed while on active duty, and am a highly skilled professional with over 20 years of REAL experience in my field (not resume fluff/embellishment). I'm often recognized for both my work ethic & excellent customer service oriented activity by employers - and was recognized plenty while with ITT in Afghanistan. So there's no "personal" grudge here. This is all business. I have found that hard working qualified individuals are made to carry the weight of their whole team; rarely will you find more than 1 qualified individual in a shop. And there is no time or mechanism to provide adequate on the job training while still addressing the work that needs to be done (the "JCTL" system is a joke) The hiring screening process can easily prevent this from happening, but when management is not involved in anything but making sure their own civilian & military managers stay off their back - nothing changes. Putting out fires is the way of doing business at ITT in Afghanistan - and it doesn't need to be this way. Yes, it's a war zone - but, the infrastructure is setup in away to easily allow efficient, enterprise level management of the I.T. systems in country - but management has no clue what that means - so its non-existent. I should say I'm shocked that ITT continues to win their O&M contract - but we know how inefficient the government is too oten, don't we?

Unsatisfying

Proposal Manager (Former Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at ITT Systems

Pros: Retirement is an attractive benefit. Military environment, which suited me… Cons: In Business Development, when a proposal is hot, they work you like a dog - Saturday and Sunday every weekend for three or four months… Advice to Senior Management: Develop your people better. The training department needs a big changes. … No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

It was a life time experience that we were a world class factory that build US amry raidio, hi tech, new equipment.

Senior Technician (Former Employee)
    Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at ITT Systems

Pros: Good pay, good management, clean an safe. Cons: Defence cut, or new technology that we don't have. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on ITT Systems.

Worked for ITT Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ITT Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ITT Systems CEO David F. Melcher . All reviews posted anonymously by ITT Systems employees.