ITT Systems

www.ittsystems.com
  www.ittsystems.com
There are newer employer reviews for ITT Systems

Large corporate structure, but everyone is an engineer and easy to relate to.

Former Employee - Civil Engineering Intern in Monrovia, CA
Former Employee - Civil Engineering Intern in Monrovia, CA

I worked at ITT Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You got to work for NASA/JPL, and be a part of the team that guarantees transmissions to and from space. Everyone believes in the mission, and there are some die-hard JPL'ers embedded in the ITT staff. Reasonable hours (no more than 40 hrs/wk for interns), and a good balance of field work and office work. Everyone on staff seemed very friendly and approachable.

Cons

I was a college intern for a summer. The work got a bit tedious at times (at one point I was just cutting labels and putting them in binders), but that's part of the job I suppose.

64 Other Employee Reviews for ITT Systems (View Most Recent)

Qualified Competent Professionals Need Not Apply to Afghanistan Positions

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at ITT Systems

Pros

Able to support the Armed Forces in war zones; tax benefit for being an ex-pat during a calendar year; if you are in I.T. only work here for 1 or more of the following 3 reasons: if you are inexperienced in your field and want to gain entry-level experience, if you want to support the armed forces/are patriotic, are desperate for money. If you are established & experienced in your field stateside - stay there or you will carry 99% of the work load while the inexperienced employees surf the net all day & complain about everything else while management does absolutely nothing. Employees do not get fired except for drug, alcohol or sexual offenses. Incompetency will gain them transfers - and, yes (I swear) promotions to higher level positions! Qualified employees get burned out quickly - often resulting in them simply quitting to go back stateside or to a better paying employer - and ITT management does not care one iota bout losing qualified/hard working employers.

Cons

Poorly managed (and often, just a lack of management altogether), from the top down; hiring of extremely incompetent workers; heavy work load on the few competent workers that exist; pay significantly less than competing employers; Unsafe living conditions (I know its a war zone - but living in moldy safe houses prone to attack - and forbidden from being armed - is unsat)

Hire PROVEN leaders in the I.T. field. Promoting from within is fine on occasion - but should NOT be the sole method for hiring any/all management personnel (not just in I.T.). Leads should be hired AS leads, Senior personnel should be hired AS senior personnel, and managers should be hired AS managers. Tasking people with no skill or desire as a lead/senior/manager yields poor results. Additionally, hire qualified & competent workers and quit filling slots by selecting any warm body that can aquire a clearance. Ensure your personnel aware aware of ALL policies & procedures instead of sharing this knowledge AFTER the fact (sending out the occasional PIOP is unsat. Make them ALL available to ALL users. Also ensure personnel are using CURRENT forms/paperwork (ie, I submitted a Leave Request form - approved at all levels of my site - 5 months in advance - only to learn that ITT no longer is authorized for MILAIR flight to Europe - yet, the form clearly stated ITT Employees were authorized to fly to places such as Frankfurt or Ramstein, Germany. This resulted in a loss to myself of over $3,000 and cancelling of much needed R&R. Management simply did not care or offer to make ammends for their mistake.)
    I read these reivews prior to signing on with ITT, assuming many were from persons who had not deployed before, or simply held a personal grudge. I am a Navy vet who had been deployed while on active duty, and am a highly skilled professional with over 20 years of REAL experience in my field (not resume fluff/embellishment). I'm often recognized for both my work ethic & excellent customer service oriented activity by employers - and was recognized plenty while with ITT in Afghanistan. So there's no "personal" grudge here. This is all business. I have found that hard working qualified individuals are made to carry the weight of their whole team; rarely will you find more than 1 qualified individual in a shop. And there is no time or mechanism to provide adequate on the job training while still addressing the work that needs to be done (the "JCTL" system is a joke) The hiring screening process can easily prevent this from happening, but when management is not involved in anything but making sure their own civilian & military managers stay off their back - nothing changes. Putting out fires is the way of doing business at ITT in Afghanistan - and it doesn't need to be this way. Yes, it's a war zone - but, the infrastructure is setup in away to easily allow efficient, enterprise level management of the I.T. systems in country - but management has no clue what that means - so its non-existent. I should say I'm shocked that ITT continues to win their O&M contract - but we know how inefficient the government is too oten, don't we?

Unsatisfying

Former Employee - Proposal Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Proposal Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at ITT Systems

Pros

Retirement is an attractive benefit. Military environment, which suited me as a retiree myself. Company was local to where I live

Cons

In Business Development, when a proposal is hot, they work you like a dog - Saturday and Sunday every weekend for three or four months at a time. Then you might get a few weeks of 40 hours, then right back to 100 hours a week.

Leadership is poor. Promotions prospects are poor. Salary is poor.

Develop your people better. The training department needs a big changes. Provide career advancement opportunities. Until you do, good people will keep leaving.

There are newer employer reviews for ITT Systems