ITT Technical Institute

There are newer employer reviews for ITT Technical Institute

Don't Do it.

Current Employee - Educational Recruiter in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Educational Recruiter in Houston, TX

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Depending on your staff, the coworkers.

Cons

The company has no opportunity for advancement. Tough aggressive sales pressure for NO reward.

Nothing

575 Other Employee Reviews for ITT Technical Institute (View Most Recent)

worst place ever - Glad I left this prison.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome colleagues. That's the only thing I enjoyed.

Cons

Director and managers only care about number not the students. They have their favorite employees to receive the good leads.
    Benefits are very disappointing, 350 co-pay for medical visit?!!!
    Students do not learn anything, easy As and unworthy education.
    Pay is low compared to other for-profit schools.
    89% turnover ratio, you see new faces almost every week with useless Monday meetings and unattainable goals.

Change your culture because whistle blowing is near.

Really a Test of Your Moral Compass... (read why the turnover rate is insanely high)

Former Employee - Educational Representative in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Educational Representative in Madison, WI

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Probably the best part of my job was talking about how much I disliked the job and "institution" with other ITT Tech Representatives. We never wanted to be there, so our career there almost became laughable. I did make some good friends there.

Also, since the management realizes that we aren't 100% thrilled to work sometimes until 9:30 pm (usually representatives work 9-6pm OR 12-9pm on alternating days), they often bought us a lot of pizza and ice cream and all of that type of stuff as a sort of morale boost (or bribe...).

The pay was decent, starting at just under 40k, but it is HOURLY, not salaried.

When you put your two weeks' notice in, they ask you to leave but still pay you for the two weeks :D

Cons

I won't call it a sales job, but... Okay I will call it a sales job.The best way to describe it is you are selling a shell of an education to folks who cannot afford it. I worked as an Educational Recruiter and the process was almost embarassing to me. If somebody signed up online or via mail or some college fair, and wants information, I was required to call them 3 times (minimum) per day (assuming they didn't answer me the first time and agree to come in) for I think two weeks. If I don't get ahold of them? Well, they were passed onto another Rep's group of calls and that person gives it a try for two weeks.

These folks can expect to receive 3 calls per day, 6 days per week until they explicitly ask to be taken off of the list. An average day required me to dial about 150 numbers, though 300-350 was not unheard of. We were encouraged to call at times "convenient" to them so as to better our chances of reaching them, meaning between 5-8pm (dinner time phone call, anyone?).

It's hilarious, when I talked to them, I was taught to spin whatever they may have had interest in to match one of the "degrees" we offered. For example, if someone stated that they wanted to work as a teacher one day, I'd have to explain to them how a career in Paralegal would fit their interests.

After they agreed to come take a tour of our facility, we'd give them a presentation about the so-called "benefits" of enrolling. We'd then explain to them that this education will cost you $44,000.00 to get your Associates Degree (that is not a typo). The sad part is, many people don't realize how rediculous that number is for this education, let alone a legitimate school.

The next part is what really made me the most uncomfortable. This person, who basically just wanted a tour, is then told (not asked) that a financial aid rep will be meeting with you next to see what aid they qualify for. Before the person can say "no", a financial aid rep is in the room, walking them through the FAFSA process, having them e-sign some documents, and before they know it, they are "qualified" to receive a loan.

The next step is me TELLING them to sign up for school. The smart few are able to say "no thank you, I need to think about it", but many people are quite vulnerable and not very educated on the subject of education (the target student is low-income, first generation, uneducated groups) so they sign up and are already enrolled for the next quarter's classes.

Luckily, there are some hoops to jump through to get a loan of that magnitude (who would have thought), and it takes one day for the financial aid person and the registrar to straighten things out. The person returns the next day to finalize their loan. I say "luckily" because some folks use this as an opportunity not to come back. Some, though, have already bought in and unfortunately return for the final financial aid appointment.

Imagine how overwhelmed somebody would feel. They walk into an institution one day to check it out, and in less than two hours they are enrolled and have been signed up for a loan that could cost them $44,000.00 (for an associate's degree, remember). Want a bachelor's? Just another $44,000.00 to continue on for two more years (your math is correct, that is $88,000+ for a bachelor's degree). My University of Wisconsin-System school charged me just over $20k for my four-year degree.

So that's the job of an Educational Recruiter (Educational Representative) in a nutshell. Aside from that though, you meet with management once per week (two times per week right before a quarter starts) to discuss your numbers. You also meet once per week with the rest of your group where you literally publicly talk about that week's numbers. Common practice, I guess, was to call someone out at these meetings if their numbers were sub standard.

Another thing, they give you 10-12 days of vacation to start, which sounds great. The problem is actually using them though. Getting an approved vacation day requires you to submit the request like a month in advance. It couldn't be during a phone-a-thon (You had to double your daily calls for these BTW), it couldn't be within one week before or immediately after the quarter starting date (four quarters start annually x 2 weeks each already eliminates eight weeks from your list of potential vacation days). By the way, I, along with each Representative, worked every other Saturday.

Finally, I thought you should know I only worked there for just over one month (never signed anyone up, by the way,and I'm happy about that), but I realized I was not in a good place within the first three days. Before signing up to work here, and ESPECIALLY before signing up to go to school here, google/bing/ "itt tech value" to see the type of education that ITT tries to push on people.

This company spends over 1/4 (25%) of their profit on marketing and advertising to bring in more students. The average University or College spends less than 5%.

Have a heart. Realize that the people you tag with a $40,000+ debt already can barely afford to live. Double your investment on the instructors/quality of instruction to add value to the education that people pay so much for.

There are newer employer reviews for ITT Technical Institute