There are newer employer reviews for ITT Technical Institute

Entry-Level "build resume" type of job

Current Employee - Educational Recruiter  in  Oak Brook, IL
Current Employee - Educational Recruiter in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free Food at least once a quarter when students have open-house (and sometimes more - lunch on management), regular paycheck, okay benefits

Cons

Unprofessional atmosphere, Horrible Management, All about meeting numbers! numebrs! numers!, force you to lie to potential students just to get them to sign up, over worked and underpaid, office morale LOW, make friday and saturdays mandatory at least 12 weeks out the year (before the start of the quarter, the week of and week after), NO WORK LIFE BALANCE, only national accreditation, employees must "kiss butt" to stay on managers good side or will purposely make it harder for you to meet numbers (i.e. giving you old/bad leads) etc...

Providing education should be the main focus - not about SALES. Need to treat your employess well and EQUAL and bring up the office morale.

511 Other Employee Reviews for ITT Technical Institute (View Most Recent)

Much depends on the quality of the Campus Director

Current Employee - Director of Recruitment
    Current Employee - Director of Recruitment

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had the good fortune to work with a smart and committed campus director. Truly committed to student success. Great opportunity to try new things, explore training opportunities for staff and grow yourself and staff professionally. Pay in the 60's for Directors of Recruitment and the mid 30's to upper 40's for recruiters.

Cons

Everything including hiring and firing eminates from HQ, often very aggressive enrollment goals based on volume of often low quality internet aggregator purchased leads - many (maybe even most) of which were actually desperate job seekers not degree seekers. Tuition was close to 5X greater than comparable community colleges (in 2012) and ITT's national accreditation means ITT Tech courses are pretty much only transferrable to another ITT Tech.

Focus on program quality, Lower your tuition. Quit protecting the 36% profit margins on students and act like the stewards of taxpayer dollars you are before student default rates get so high the Fed pulls your Title 4 funding and the gig is up! Many dedicated and strong people lost to ITT because enrollment goals can be unrealistic based on the economic and personal realities for many in the populations ITT targets.

Horrible company with NO chance for professional growth!

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time

Pros

ITT Tech is not like other proprietary educational institutes in that we do not offer “refunds” just for going to school. ITT Tech only takes out enough loan/grant money to cover school. Some schools actually take out more loan money at the behest of the student so that the student can skip working and live off of going to school, without any desire to graduate – just taking out loans to cheat the system and be lazy.

Cons

First off, expect to be micromanaged. Corporate comes out with new policies all the time. You are given inflated metrics that you need to achieve or be written up each week. Blanket policies for each campus at each location does not work -- different locales call for different policies.
    Being an admissions rep is TOTALLY A TELEMARKETING GIG. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. You sit in a cubicle, calling off of a cold list that is YEARS old – with the majority of those numbers disconnected or wrong.

ITT Tech has NO ADMISSION TEST. We have enrolled people WHO COULD NOT READ. Since the drop-out rate of our students that we individually enroll affects our performance review rating when raise time comes, this is disastrous. Many of the students that we enroll are from low-income families, as we are in a crime-ridden area – so it is common to have students go to jail. It’s just another way to keep recruiters from getting a raise that they deserve.

Leads are laughable. We get leads from people who are just looking for a job and could not advance through the application process without filling out a form with his/her information. The advertising and lead system is very unethical. These folks can expect to receive 3 calls per day, 6 days per week until they explicitly ask to be taken off of the list. Reps were told that we needed to call them during times when the prospective student was sure to be home – i.e., during dinner time, around 9 PM, or at 9 AM on a Saturday morning (hope you weren’t wanting to sleep in...).

Ultimately, it's all about metrics and numbers with corporate. They do not take into account how many leads are actually viable -- it's all about quantity over quality. HQ states that having a 10% “lead-to-sit” ratio is good. Many of the leads on the cold list have repeatedly told us that they were on the Federal “Do Not Call” list, and have even asked us to be put on ITT’s Do Not Call List, which makes me and the company I work for look like idiots.

Expect to work a different schedule every quarter if you are a rep, and AT LEAST every other Saturday (9am – 2pm) being mandatory, as well as evenings (at least 2 evenings per week, 12pm-9pm). I've even heard of reps working on SUNDAY! Also, reps can expect to receive notice of a “phone-a-thon” on Saturday morning on WEDNESDAY. Meaning, if you had Saturday morning plans, you can just kiss those plans goodbye, as phone-a-thons are mandatory – even if you don’t have enough leads to call. If you have only 5 leads, you call those 5 leads once per hour till they are reached. Phone-a-thons are often promoted as “contests” with other campuses in the district, however, I have yet to see any results of said contests, or any trophies/rewards.

Ethics here are negligible. They have an “anonymous ethics line” that they staff 24hrs a day. Have you ever worked at a place that had so many complaints that they have to set up a 24hr ethics line??

It's all about the bottom line with ITT - how much $$ the stockholders and those high up in their corporate ivory tower will clear each year. ITT is more than happy to drown students in debt than to lower its tuition to a more reasonable amount -- which the taxpayers end up paying for. Students here are nothing more than cattle -- bring them in, stamp them with the ITT Tech brand, sign them up for loans they cannot afford, and shove them out the door. Is it any wonder that ITT Tech’s stocks have gone from $100+ a share to $17 a share within just a couple of years? I might also add, how interesting is it that recently Kevin Modany is selling off his stock like a street hawker selling a bunch of stolen goods? Kind of like rats jumping from a sinking ship, no?

Employees are a disposable resource, like a lemon, to be squeezed dry and tossed aside. If an employee's safety is compromised (say, by having a school in an unsafe location), corporate does not care about hiring extra safety or installing extra lights. They would rather take the risk and play the odds that no one will actually get attacked -- including their own students! -- than pay for more safety measures. Management has a “what have you done for me lately” mentality – one week you are on top of the world, but on the next week, you’re not fit to eat cat poop. Management specifically looks for people who won’t have a life outside of ITT – who won’t care about the random switchup of hours or the unavailability of vacation time.
    LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES! The majority of reviews on this site (and from others I’ve spoken with) are negative. Why aren’t you listening? If you treated your employees better and lowered your tuition to just $30k, you’d be in a much better position! Happy employees, plus a college that people may actually be able to afford. But we all know that they won’t listen...

There are newer employer reviews for ITT Technical Institute

Worked for ITT Technical Institute? Contribute to the Community!