Experience...

Former Employee - Sst  in  Knoxville, TN
Former Employee - Sst in Knoxville, TN

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was able to gather a good bit of experience in the areas of end user support and desktop maintenance and repair. The exposure was somewhat broad as the company is in the field of always staying up to date on technology. The overall structure in my division was well laid out and organized in comparison to other companies I have worked for.

Cons

I was a student of the company for 4 years then a full time employee for another 4+ years to only be abused of my skill sets for other than what I was hired for. This was a problem mainly at the local management level stemming from the corporate level. I started with solely doing what was in my job description to facility maintenance and janitorial duties. It was rather insulting to hold a degree that they held such high standards for, to only be tasked with troubleshooting toilet issues and shining the company sign. I would also add that due to the structure, there was not much room for advancement without moving to the corporate offices up North.

To the corporate management; Actually have a better understanding of what your local campuses are doing with their employees. Helping out is one thing and saving a dime is saving a dime but don't do it at the expense of abusing your current employees and what they were hired for.

Other Reviews for ITT Technical Institute

Really, I hope this is never the face of education in America

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time

Pros

Bi-weekly Paycheck, Benefits, Students and certain colleagues.
    Nice to work in an educational environment.

Cons

Where to begin besides the whole idea.
    1. The company is goal oriented which is wrong and here is why.
    The Reps need to get so many people enrolled, yes they have a number to meet. For example sake lets say its 10. They will enroll 5 decent students, that can do the work. The other 5 will have serious issues and should not be seeking higher education much less be getting into debt with an education they can not complete. Reps tell these potential students that they are entering the electrical engineering program AKA EET. So students graduate thinking they are studying to be an electrical engineer, only to graduate with a BSEET. That is not a BSEE, they are not electrical engineers and I have seen them find out the hard way.

Academics has goals, yes they need to make numbers and need to have so many students graduate. So you have students being pushed along through the system to meet numbers and they graduate without having the necessary skills to succeed. Once again you have a portion of students who are actually trying to get an education but you also have a large percentage just not doing all the work. You have a large drop rate at each school because students are just not equipped to get the higher level education. They were not prepared for it but they sure do believe the commercials. Academics needs to give these students realistic outcomes. Just because you graduate from ITT with a degree in Project management does not mean an employer is going to give you a 5 million dollar budgeted project to work on with no work experience.

Career Services, Okay so now once again Career Services needs to get a ridiculous number of these students placed but can not guarantee employment. Here is where the numbers and statistics become offensive. For argument sake say you have 10 graduates to place. 3 of them are in their professional field great now you have 7 more. Now many of these individuals often have serious employment issues, like criminal backgrounds but have criminal justice degrees.
    Some can not write in sentences or are socially inept. Many do not have good transportation, some are homeless and others just do not have the technical skills to compete because at the end of they day, they need to compete with the Michigan State students and other universities.
    Salary expectations, really, ITT tech over values the worth of education. For many the value of education is not seen for years after they receive it. Because you have a degree does not equal entitlements.

Hey Kevin here is an excellent goal marker for you to rate your job performance by. Your stock value dropped 75%, I would say that a failure.

Opportunity to change lives and the future of technology is amazing.

Current Employee - Dean
    Current Employee - Dean

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time

Pros

Able to manage a top notch academic team and some of the best students in the world!

Cons

No work/life balance. Position requires work seven days a week and approximately 60+ hours per week.

Instead of consistently increasing the duties of your mangers, try reducing the load of tasks taht could be performed by clerical staff. It will allow your managers to focus on what you truly hired them to do.

There are newer employer reviews for ITT Technical Institute.

Worked for ITT Technical Institute? Contribute to the Community!