Experience...

Former Employee - Sst in Knoxville, TN
Former Employee - Sst in Knoxville, TN

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to gather a good bit of experience in the areas of end user support and desktop maintenance and repair. The exposure was somewhat broad as the company is in the field of always staying up to date on technology. The overall structure in my division was well laid out and organized in comparison to other companies I have worked for.

Cons

I was a student of the company for 4 years then a full time employee for another 4+ years to only be abused of my skill sets for other than what I was hired for. This was a problem mainly at the local management level stemming from the corporate level. I started with solely doing what was in my job description to facility maintenance and janitorial duties. It was rather insulting to hold a degree that they held such high standards for, to only be tasked with troubleshooting toilet issues and shining the company sign. I would also add that due to the structure, there was not much room for advancement without moving to the corporate offices up North.

Advice to Management

To the corporate management; Actually have a better understanding of what your local campuses are doing with their employees. Helping out is one thing and saving a dime is saving a dime but don't do it at the expense of abusing your current employees and what they were hired for.

Other Employee Reviews for ITT Technical Institute

1. Opportunity to change lives and the future of technology is amazing.

Current Employee - Dean
    Current Employee - Dean

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time

Pros

Able to manage a top notch academic team and some of the best students in the world!

Cons

No work/life balance. Position requires work seven days a week and approximately 60+ hours per week.

Advice to Management

Instead of consistently increasing the duties of your mangers, try reducing the load of tasks taht could be performed by clerical staff. It will allow your managers to focus on what you truly hired them to do.

You are replaceable, and they will ensure that you know that.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some pretty awesome people at ITT, and I hope to ensure that several of them find a new job before the end of the year.

Cons

"You should be happy that you have a job" - this was a response from a Director when some employees were expressing that they wish they had some sort of positive aspect to cling to when they came to work. "You are too positive" - this was from another director when I was trying to look at the bright side of a pretty bleak situation. I would rather focus on what went right, and then analyze what went wrong in order to ensure that those behaviors / processes are tweaked to prevent them from happening again. Management in general (top-level down) ensure that you know at all times that you are replaceable. If you don't like it "there are jobs all up and down Pennsylvania avenue" - another quote from a director at ITT. "We are not in the gym business" - a response from the CEO when asked during a company meeting whether or not ITT planned to offer a discount for a gym like most other organizations in the area. They fired 40 people for reasons of RIF, and posted their positions the very next day at a salary of about 40% less.

Advice to Management

There are other places to work... there are other jobs out there... organizations who actually show that they care about their employees. I realize that numbers are important. I realize that it is important for the organization to grow... of course... do you want it to grow with MDORs forging signatures because that particular state required a wet signature? What was the DORs response? Put the MDOR on final... what's the message here? Don't get caught forging signatures twice. Lovely....