Strong campus leaders, but favors the 1%

Former Employee - Career Services in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Career Services in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Leadership at all Phoenix area campuses is strong. High values, high integrity. The Career Services departments, despite a lot of pressure to document job placements to meet industry guidelines set by ACICS, really does care about assisting the students/graduates with finding employment in their chosen fields, and not just about hitting their numbers.

Cons

The education is overpriced, and ITT could be used as a perfect company example of income disparity (distribution of wealth favoring the 1%, not the 99%). Salary levels offered are below industry competitors (and very low compared to other similar industries), especially when considering the job responsibilities, and the skills and hours required for each functional area.

Advice to Management

Trickle down economics doesn't work, and catering more to shareholders vs. associates creates a negative culture. Reward your leaders and associates at a reasonable level and turnover will decrease. Stock option bonuses that aren't vested for 3 years does not help with the retention of your leaders.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

You are replaceable, and they will ensure that you know that.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some pretty awesome people at ITT, and I hope to ensure that several of them find a new job before the end of the year.

Cons

"You should be happy that you have a job" - this was a response from a Director when some employees were expressing that they wish they had some sort of positive aspect to cling to when they came to work. "You are too positive" - this was from another director when I was trying to look at the bright side of a pretty bleak situation. I would rather focus on what went right, and then analyze what went wrong in order to ensure that those behaviors / processes are tweaked to prevent them from happening again. Management in general (top-level down) ensure that you know at all times that you are replaceable. If you don't like it "there are jobs all up and down Pennsylvania avenue" - another quote from a director at ITT. "We are not in the gym business" - a response from the CEO when asked during a company meeting whether or not ITT planned to offer a discount for a gym like most other organizations in the area. They fired 40 people for reasons of RIF, and posted their positions the very next day at a salary of about 40% less.

Advice to Management

There are other places to work... there are other jobs out there... organizations who actually show that they care about their employees. I realize that numbers are important. I realize that it is important for the organization to grow... of course... do you want it to grow with MDORs forging signatures because that particular state required a wet signature? What was the DORs response? Put the MDOR on final... what's the message here? Don't get caught forging signatures twice. Lovely....

2. Focus on the students

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Prefab lesson plans make it easy prepare.

Cons

Lack of flexibility in grading method, to give the benefit of a doubt where possible.