Innovative Edtech Company with Lots of Growth Potential

Current Employee - Operations Team in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Operations Team in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IXL is a rapidly growing company that has incredibly innovative products. It's a great place to work if you're looking for a team full of quirky, smart, inspired individuals who care about improving education across the globe through our products. IXL is on the smaller side (100 employees), and its rapid growth highlights the company's successful products, and room for expansion. Perks: Innovative products, employees that genuinely care about improving education, on-site massages, on-site gym access, lunch-time socials, internship program, IXL softball team, great office location, friendly co-workers

Cons

* Like every company that is growing very fast, IXL is still trying to sharpen its ability to manage the expansion. * The environment is incredibly fast-paced, but that is to be expected with a growing company and that sort of environment drives our employees to live up to their full potential.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great Company! Come Join Us!

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time

Pros

-Flexible schedule -Friendly and supportive coworkers and team mates -Good work/life balance -Growth opportunities and opportunities to learn new things everyday -Fun social events -Beautiful office building with very nice water view -Great benefits and much more!

Cons

Nothing I can think of

An interesting convergence of success and dysfunction

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Department in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Department in San Mateo, CA

I worked at IXL Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Strength of products -Many friendly people -Exciting industry

Cons

I have numerous gripes with IXL that resulted in me leaving, but before reading any further I want to preface that these are just my observations and hopefully the company can work to improve over time. The difficulty with a dysfunctional workplace is that folks like me end up "checking out" when things do not improve, and we end up becoming disgruntled ex-employees once we have alternatives or go full-on OfficeSpace and stop caring altogether. I would never tell anyone reading my review to reject a secure job that provides them enough income to support them and their family (unless they had alternatives). My advice is to take any review with a grain of salt and use your own judgements to see if the remarks align with observations made during interview(s). Additionally, there are a number of roles at IXL so my perspective may not apply. Who knows, maybe you are the person this company needs to reorient their direction? -Peter Principle: Much of the management is comprised of veteran employees who have shown lots of loyalty from when the company was very small, but aren't necessarily a good fit for roles where they are expected to mentor and oversee other workers. Days were almost always chaotic, which then led to stress and lots of "bad moods" on their faces. (Aside: much of management is strangely involved in some of the minutia of their previous roles, despite being overwhelmed) -Work/Life balance: I recall being quite excited about the "flexible hours" touted on IXL's hiring page. Turns out this was far from the truth: I was denied days off, was given no opportunities to work from home, was expected to travel and/or work on weekends, and had to work a rigid 9-6 schedule every single day. Management's idea of charity was to surprise workers before holiday weekends with a 1-hour early dismissal. -Odd workplace culture: While many individuals were incredibly friendly and great people, the overarching mood was extremely antiseptic. Social events consisted of generic once-a-month birthday celebrations and the occasional lunchtime sports game (But of course, who wants to play kickball at lunch when your day is miserably boring and you want some time to relax?). -Vertical paranoia: Extreme concern for keeping contact information under wraps, emails and other writing addressed to customers was very formulaic and revolved around a handful of talking points. Very little information about production schedules or even the company's history were shared with employees. Most decisions/projects relied on personal approval and involvement of senior management, causing things to move very slowly. Despite seemingly rolling in new revenue, unwillingness to spend money on office hardware and other expenses.

Advice to Management

Acquiring and retaining talented employees should involve absorption and investment. Trying to force-feed certain policies and practices down people's throats will result in turnover and/or only getting employees who are corporate lapdogs. People are unique animals, and they respond well to kindness, acceptance, and generosity,