IXL Learning

www.ixl.com

Nice place to work.

Product Analyst (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsCoworkers are smart and generally upbeat and open to collaboration.

Benefits are fantastic. Best health insurance I've ever had. Dental and vision too.

Salary is pretty good -- though it sounds better before you move to the Bay Area. Cost of living is -steep-.

Stock options -- and since the company has been growing consistently over the past ~10 years, these options are probably not meaningless.

Flexible hours. Management is generally chill about when you come in. No one is sitting behind you watching the clock to make sure you've spent a full day there (at least on the software/product development side).

Working on a good product. The site is really slick, well-designed, and mathematically correct.

Transparency. A regular all-company meeting is held where the CEO, Paul, takes questions and gives an overview of what's going on. I don't feel like I'm in the dark about any company operations.

ConsThe commute from anywhere fun to live sucks. I didn't move to the Bay to live in San Mateo. In the peak of rush hour, it takes ~45 min from SF, 55 from Oakland, over an hour from Berkeley. A shuttle like Google has would be great, but the company is way too small for that.

Salary is a bit lower than other tech companies.

It's quiet in the office. I wish people would talk more.

Hours are slightly more than advertised in the interview, especially right before a product release. But, generally, the hours are better compared to other tech companies.

The company's bottom line is, of course, most important. The product is designed for a mainstream audience. I wish they would address concerns of kids in certain minorities -- for example, think about how to make the site friendly to kids with autism or print-related disabilities.

I can not imagine working with a better bunch of people.

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time

Pros: IXL is on the bleeding edge of educational technology, and it is exciting to be working in such a quickly growing company in such a… Cons: It's still a small to mid-size company, so my free coffee comes without a barista. There are good days and there are bad days,… Advice to Senior Management: I have seen a lot more communication between some departments recently, and I think you should keep that up. As the company grows by… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great place to work!

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros: The people at IXL are smart, creative, motivated, and competent, which makes them a pleasure to work with. The work is interesting and dynamic. There… Cons: It can get quite busy leading up to a release. (The work/life balance otherwise is… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on IXL Learning.

Worked for IXL Learning? Contribute to the Community!