Nice place to work.

Current Employee - Product Analyst  in  San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Product Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers are smart and generally upbeat and open to collaboration.

Benefits are fantastic. Best health insurance I've ever had. Dental and vision too.

Salary is pretty good -- though it sounds better before you move to the Bay Area. Cost of living is -steep-.

Stock options -- and since the company has been growing consistently over the past ~10 years, these options are probably not meaningless.

Flexible hours. Management is generally chill about when you come in. No one is sitting behind you watching the clock to make sure you've spent a full day there (at least on the software/product development side).

Working on a good product. The site is really slick, well-designed, and mathematically correct.

Transparency. A regular all-company meeting is held where the CEO, Paul, takes questions and gives an overview of what's going on. I don't feel like I'm in the dark about any company operations.

Cons

The commute from anywhere fun to live sucks. I didn't move to the Bay to live in San Mateo. In the peak of rush hour, it takes ~45 min from SF, 55 from Oakland, over an hour from Berkeley. A shuttle like Google has would be great, but the company is way too small for that.

Salary is a bit lower than other tech companies.

It's quiet in the office. I wish people would talk more.

Hours are slightly more than advertised in the interview, especially right before a product release. But, generally, the hours are better compared to other tech companies.

The company's bottom line is, of course, most important. The product is designed for a mainstream audience. I wish they would address concerns of kids in certain minorities -- for example, think about how to make the site friendly to kids with autism or print-related disabilities.

Other Reviews for IXL Learning

I can not imagine working with a better bunch of people.

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time

Pros

IXL is on the bleeding edge of educational technology, and it is exciting to be working in such a quickly growing company in such a quickly growing field. I have never been surrounded by so many people with such intelligence, and the fact that they remain down to earth and open to new ideas must be a strongly contributing factor to that intelligence. Everyone cares very strongly about the difference we are making in the lives of so many kids, and the shared sense of purpose can be heady.

As the company continues to grow job, descriptions continue to evolve. Talented and hard-working people are highly prized, and after they are hired they are given the room to grow, too. If you are interested in education and technology, and in being a part of the future of how people learn, IXL is a very fun place to work.

Cons

It's still a small to mid-size company, so my free coffee comes without a barista. There are good days and there are bad days, but what the reasons I have for not liking working at IXL are the same reasons I would have working at ANY job. There is no such thing as a free lunch, though, so if I am going to work to eat I am glad I found IXL.

I have seen a lot more communication between some departments recently, and I think you should keep that up. As the company grows by leaps and bounds, keeping all the moving parts of IXL working together is going to become more and more difficult, and it's going to require some serious planning to pull off.

Great place to work!

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people at IXL are smart, creative, motivated, and competent, which makes them a pleasure to work with.

The work is interesting and dynamic. There are always new projects to tackle and new challenges to face.

The management on the development team is exceptional. It consists of talented, hardworking individuals who hold us all to high standards.

People are friendly and often spend time together outside of work - going out to lunch, participating in the company basketball and softball teams, going to happy hours, etc.

Cons

It can get quite busy leading up to a release. (The work/life balance otherwise is good.)

The company is growing rapidly, so we're losing a little bit of that small company feel.

There are newer employer reviews for IXL Learning.

Worked for IXL Learning? Contribute to the Community!