Come work with me!

Current Employee - Membership Specialist  in  San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Membership Specialist in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

IXL IS JUST AWESOME. Just check out the other reviews! Everyone loves it here! We have so much fun! I'd even work here for free! And so would so many others! I'd recommend everyone apply! All my friends are already applying!

Cons

NONE! Don't listen to the haters! THey just don't know!

You are doing an AMAZING job! BEST MANAGEMENT EVER.

Other Reviews for IXL Learning

Realistic Review from a "REAL" employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being realistic, this company has its ups an downs. Having worked full time here, I'm at liberty to discuss all of that.
    The pros :

1. The engineering and product developers/designers are treated really well
         a. They have good salaries
         b. Good work hours
         c. Good managers
         d. Good team and benefits

2. The building/location isn't bad. Its not San Francisco/Palo Alto but it isn't Millbrae/San Bruno either.

3. The products are definitely interesting, exciting, touches millions of lives around the world

4. Some really smart individuals work here

5. Paul (one of the co-founders) is awesome, and some of the managers are also great

6. The fridge is clean (yes, I run out of pros here).

Cons

This is where things are a little ugly...

1. Non engineers/product-dev are treated terribly. While I do understand that being an engineering company, the engineers matter a lot, IXL needs to realize that without sales, marketing, recruiting, the company would cease to exist. The product designers/engineers get great benefits, are moving to a new fancy floor in the building, have flexible hours and breaks etc. whereas the non engineers have none of that.

2. Some of the managers, not pointing fingers here, need help, and by help I mean need to be replaced.

3. The company lacks an important aspect of a healthy life - coordination and communication between departments. The company lacks a COO.

4. Management claims upward growth, however there is very little room for upward growth in this company, bonuses come slow, raises are small, and when they tell you they're a "start-up" please don't believe that.

5. The work-space and office plan is drab and boring. Neutral colored cubes and furniture.

6. Favoritism - Some of the managers openly display favoritism, and it reflects on the projects that the person gets etc. This is an unfair advantage to those not 'favored'.

7. False information - This is my biggest gripe with the company. IXL is NOT a startup, and should stop advertising as one. They are a corporate like any other. They do not treat their employees like startups do, they're not flexible like startups and some of the managers should go back to the big firms that they came from because they are not ready for a smaller company. I feel some of the managers strive for one thing but the way they work and act is completely the opposite. You can not want to run a "startup-ish company" but treat your employees and practices like a big company would.

All in all, for engineering, this company is great, for the rest, not so much.

Also, to the earlier review titled "New Low". Completely agree. Stop posting false reviews!

You really need to become more transparent. Firstly, there has to be room for upward mobility. Secondly, I understand that it is a software product, but your engineers can not be treated like gods and everyone else like misers. Also, some managers/co-founder etc. (people who work here will already know what I'm talking about) need to figure out what they want.
    Paul should get more involved with the company. He is a great visionary but stays locked up in his office all day. He needs to get more involved with the functioning of the company because with his guidance they could really turn things around.

Fed up

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at IXL Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-good health benefits
    -yes, sometimes, the fridge is clean

Cons

-no culture
    -no room for advancement
    -no flexibility and no work/life balance
    -very boring office environment

-managers are a group of untrained jokes--most people in higher-up positions got there simply because they've been with the company since the beginning, not because they have any skill, education, or talent
    -CEO is definitely a hermit
    -releases are constantly pushed back, and employees are always kept out of the loop
    -HR and managers keep saying changes are on the horizon, but they're not doing anything to better the situation--people have been complaining for years and they've even been quitting because HR has no idea what they're doing

-all these fake 5-star reviews are embarrassing, and are only showcasing the immense amount of insecurity HR and managers have regarding IXL's desirability

Stop posting all the fake reviews, hire people that actually know what they're doing (managers, HR), listen to your employee's grievances, and actually keep your word when you say you're going to change things for the better.

There are newer employer reviews for IXL Learning.

Worked for IXL Learning? Contribute to the Community!