Ian Birchall and Associates
www.ibadesign.com San Francisco, CA

Great small company where you can learn more about the architecture industry

San Francisco, CA

ProsThis small company of 4 people really throws you into the architecture industry headfirst. You get to see all aspects of the business and work on a variety of projects in different programs at different stages of design. This is a great place to learn more about what architecture is really about. The small office is friendly and in the heart of San Francisco.

The office has some great projects to work on and you will get to work on all aspects of design.

ConsEven though most of the management is great, very senior management does not respect or value their employees. I was often verbally disrespected and threatened to be fired. This can be an abusive workplace environment - if you would like to work here make sure that you can deal with an ungrateful boss. Be prepared for temper tantrums.

Senior management does not use AutoCAD, Revit, 3-D software or Adobe Creative Suite. This can often be frustrating at times as they do not understand what is involved in making changes to a design.

Advice to Senior ManagementI learned a lot in my time at IB+A but I did not feel valued as an employee. I was often at the mercy of my boss's bad temper and unprofessional manner. In the end I left because I was unhappy with the way I was treated at work.

abysmal place to exist

I have been working at Ian Birchall and Associates

Pros: This firm offers decent hourly pay for young designers, on par with… Cons: The senior principal is extremely condescending. He will insult your intelligence and skills (loudly for all to hear) for no good reason, other than… Advice to Senior Management: Just be decent to your junior staff, they are the ones producing all the work and listening to you, there is… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

worked as assistant to various members of the company

Office Assistant (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ian Birchall and Associates part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Birchall expects loyalty and knowledge. You can learn a great deal from him, and advance your career in architecture. You can meet… Cons: expect to be accountable; expect to be able to answer questions with knowledge and facts. Not… Advice to Senior Management: this business is heading for even more success in projects. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Ian Birchall and Associates.

Worked for Ian Birchall and Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ian Birchall and Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ian Birchall and Associates CEO Ian Birchall. All reviews posted anonymously by Ian Birchall and Associates employees.