There are newer employer reviews for Illinois State

It was a good experience as a graduate student job

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Normal, IL
Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Normal, IL

I worked at Illinois State part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a really good experience for me to work at ISU as a graduate assistant. It pays good enough to have a student life in a city like Normal which costs of life is not too much. I did not have to pay my tuition as well which was good. I also learned many things while I was working as a research assistant.

Cons

you may find Normal/IL very boring small town. The weather is also tough! winters are so cold and summers are freaking hot and humid.

Advice to Management

The student cost should be waived for graduate assistant like tuition.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Illinois State University - Great Vacation Benefits - Low Salaries

Current Employee - IT Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - IT Employee in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at Illinois State full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Vacation Benefits ( about a month a year and can accrue up to 90 days ) - Christmas Shutdown ( university shutdown over Christmas break for 7 days ) - Pension - Free Education - Work life Balance is good.

Cons

- Salaries are lower that competitors in Central Illinois. - Salaries are public listed and are not private. - Salaries are tied to State of Illinois budget. Due to the State budget being in red usually increases are extremely minimal - Alot of Change. Areas in university are constantly being reorganized or merged so there is feeling of being on a rollercoaster constantly. - No clear promotion or advancement.

Advice to Management

- My area since working here have being reorganized now close to 10 times. Seems like every month there is some major change. I would recommend for my management to implement change slower. - Salaries are incosistent. Very common here to see one employee start at X salary and be here 10, 15, or 20 years and then management hires a new employee doing the same job making a solid 10K above the old employee with no rhyme or reason. - There is no clear promotion or advancement. Very common for someone here to get to a role and be in that same role their entire career - I would recomment management to be more consistent, limit change, value loyal employees and build a culture where employees are valued.

A Great Place to Work, Salaries fairly stagnent

Current Employee - Director, Technology Services in Normal, IL
    Current Employee - Director, Technology Services in Normal, IL

I have been working at Illinois State full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A great place to work with very good benefits. Administration is very supportive and most positions including mine have a great deal of latitude on methods. Opportunities to be innovative and customer service excellence is well recognized. Working conditions are usually very good. Real opportunities to shine

Cons

The negatives are really due to State funding decreases. Salaries are relatively stagnent and are not reflective of performance. Last five years have seen salary increases of about 2 percent per year, with little varience for performance. You have to change jobs to get that recognition. Also the choices are a basic 401K with good contributions, but you have to invest extra to retire, or a very good State pension system where the plan is 80 percent underfunded and subject to constant threats of reform/cuts/default.

Advice to Management

Continue great support for employees. Consider changes to compensation recognition for top performers.