Constantly aiming towards a moving target

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Im proud to have Illumina on my resume. This is a fast paced, do or die, sink or swim, you better keep up type of company. To be the leader in anything- you have to fight hard to make sure you remain on top so understand that there are a lot of high expectations. The people who work here are intelligent and very friendly. The dress code is business casual- which is awesome. The campus is beautiful.

Cons

Did I mention it's fast paced with high expectations? You're going to have a large workload with the expectations to get it done- you're working 40 hours a week? Then youre not working enough and trust me, sooner or later it will show. We tend to come up with great ideas to solve the severe lack of structure- but we can never seem to sustain. We work in silos too much just trying to get our jobs done and keep up with the high demands. You want to take time off? Psh! Vacation means just stopping your work, letting the mountain grow only to come back to a bigger mess. If you're not consistently being proactive- vacations aren't worth it.

Do not forget where you came from on Towne Center and before- you need every single individual that is working for you. Remember that open, "we're all on the same team" moral? You're slowly losing it- be careful not to turn into just another corporate company. Keep alive one of the biggest reasons we all wanted to be here.... But I do like your new executive wing!

Other Reviews for Illumina

Lack of Collaboration

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina

Pros

Working with new technology and a few interesting people.
    Good personal time off system.
    Holiday events and happy hours are fantastic.

Cons

Recruitments, selections and promotions are based on internal political
    agenda, for example hiring friends to guarantee personal loyalty at the expense of other
    highly performing and more-qualified employees.

Managers believe that the more people they manage and the
    bigger the budget, the higher the chance that they will be promoted. This results in raging
    battles around budgets, strategies and operations.

There are many management layers in the organization, thus,
    hindering communication and resulting in slower execution.

Muted level of commitment and enthusiasm teams. Even
    successful results cannot be shared and celebrated due to animosity and internal negative
    competition.

There is a high rate of absenteeism and a high employee
    turnover rate.

To quote Gandhi: "Be the change you want to see.” The most powerful leaders are almost
    always the role models for the change they seek. If the CEO practices bad politics, no
    amount of training or coaching will change the management team.

Joke

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina

Pros

One consistent thing I have read in these reviews that is very true is that this place is very fast paced. This forces you to prioritize and will prepare you very well for any other organization (as no one lasts long here, whether it be through their own free will or the company's)

Cons

No respect and no work life balance. Sacrifice of weekends and evenings is consistently not just expected, but required (yes you read that correctly). Poorest quality management I have seen in all my years as a working professional, as there is zero reward for excellent work, hard work, and effort. Only the most blatant of kissing up will get you anywhere here, and it is very sad to see this go on right in front of you. This is due to the very cutthroat and often immature politics that plague this organization.

Very blame ridden environment, with lots of blame passed between departments and not very much inter-department collaboration.

Company often times appears to refuse to get affairs in order, with everyone scrambling at the last minute due to poor execution and bad leadership, and very unclear direction.

Let Roche come in and take over. It would be better for your employees, customers, and the scientific community in general

You've exploited and ruined this company, and you should be held accountable

There are newer employer reviews for Illumina.

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!