Illumina

www.illumina.com
There are newer employer reviews for Illumina

Lack of Collaboration

I worked at Illumina

Pros

Working with new technology and a few interesting people.
Good personal time off system.
Holiday events and happy hours are fantastic.

Cons

Recruitments, selections and promotions are based on internal political
agenda, for example hiring friends to guarantee personal loyalty at the expense of other
highly performing and more-qualified employees.

Managers believe that the more people they manage and the
bigger the budget, the higher the chance that they will be promoted. This results in raging
battles around budgets, strategies and operations.

There are many management layers in the organization, thus,
hindering communication and resulting in slower execution.

Muted level of commitment and enthusiasm teams. Even
successful results cannot be shared and celebrated due to animosity and internal negative
competition.

There is a high rate of absenteeism and a high employee
turnover rate.

To quote Gandhi: "Be the change you want to see.” The most powerful leaders are almost
always the role models for the change they seek. If the CEO practices bad politics, no
amount of training or coaching will change the management team.

158 Other Employee Reviews for Illumina (View Most Recent)

Joke

I worked at Illumina

Pros

One consistent thing I have read in these reviews that is very true is that this place is very fast paced. This forces you to prioritize and will prepare you very well for any other organization (as no one lasts long here, whether it be through their own free will or the company's)

Cons

No respect and no work life balance. Sacrifice of weekends and evenings is consistently not just expected, but required (yes you read that correctly). Poorest quality management I have seen in all my years as a working professional, as there is zero reward for excellent work, hard work, and effort. Only the most blatant of kissing up will get you anywhere here, and it is very sad to see this go on right in front of you. This is due to the very cutthroat and often immature politics that plague this organization.

Very blame ridden environment, with lots of blame passed between departments and not very much inter-department collaboration.

Company often times appears to refuse to get affairs in order, with everyone scrambling at the last minute due to poor execution and bad leadership, and very unclear direction.

Let Roche come in and take over. It would be better for your employees, customers, and the scientific community in general

You've exploited and ruined this company, and you should be held accountable

An intense ride that will keep you on your toes during your tenure,

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Disclose in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Disclose in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Illumina

Pros

Although the benefits and perks at Illumina are amazing it's the the employees at Illumina that keeps the company strong. The yoga/gym/recreation on site and the monthly happy hours / half yearly sponsored corporate parties allow us to network with so many individuals from various pars of the company. Illumina does know how to care of its own. The salary is pretty competitive with stock options, bonus, raise, etc.

You learn a lot of valuable skills at Illumina in such a small amount of time. They expect you to hit the ground running. 1 or 2 years at Illumina is the equivalent of 3-5 years at a regular company.

Cons

When I came on board with Illumina, I was hired specifically more certain skill sets. I have seen myself and others included have their positions radically evolve into something completely different. Regardless of whether or not you are satisfied with the change. Projects and priorities could shift instantly, leaving things a bit chaotic at the office.

Illumina's core values don't seem to align with your personal goals and end of year review, which tends to lower your raise/bonus. Whether this is on purpose or not I leave that to the employee.
    There seemed to be a disconnect in communication and goals between upper/middle management and rest of the teams.

Advancement and movement across the organization was difficult and hard get approval of for some employees. No structure was in place to show you a path to becoming a senior person on the team or move into a manager or assistant director role.

Although Illumina does hire outstanding employees, there seemed to be a lack of basic MS skill sets or analytics for some of the employe thereby having no understanding of their data the to create presentations critical for senior management on how their business line is doing.

Turnover is quite high. The burnout and level that you are running at Illumina can be exciting but also stressful.

Structured and concise path for growing and advancing to the next level at our position.
    Find a way to keep top talented employees from turning over after several years. Turnover is quite high.

There are newer employer reviews for Illumina