Illumina

There are newer employer reviews for Illumina

Illumina Experience

Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good; nice building; great technology; CEO approachable

Cons

Some ineffective execs including VP HR, SVP GM Life Sciences (not to be trusted) and horrendous work/life balance

sell to Roche

155 Other Employee Reviews for Illumina (View Most Recent)

Constantly aiming towards a moving target

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Im proud to have Illumina on my resume. This is a fast paced, do or die, sink or swim, you better keep up type of company. To be the leader in anything- you have to fight hard to make sure you remain on top so understand that there are a lot of high expectations. The people who work here are intelligent and very friendly. The dress code is business casual- which is awesome. The campus is beautiful.

Cons

Did I mention it's fast paced with high expectations? You're going to have a large workload with the expectations to get it done- you're working 40 hours a week? Then youre not working enough and trust me, sooner or later it will show. We tend to come up with great ideas to solve the severe lack of structure- but we can never seem to sustain. We work in silos too much just trying to get our jobs done and keep up with the high demands. You want to take time off? Psh! Vacation means just stopping your work, letting the mountain grow only to come back to a bigger mess. If you're not consistently being proactive- vacations aren't worth it.

Do not forget where you came from on Towne Center and before- you need every single individual that is working for you. Remember that open, "we're all on the same team" moral? You're slowly losing it- be careful not to turn into just another corporate company. Keep alive one of the biggest reasons we all wanted to be here.... But I do like your new executive wing!

Lack of Collaboration

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina

Pros

Working with new technology and a few interesting people.
    Good personal time off system.
    Holiday events and happy hours are fantastic.

Cons

Recruitments, selections and promotions are based on internal political
    agenda, for example hiring friends to guarantee personal loyalty at the expense of other
    highly performing and more-qualified employees.

Managers believe that the more people they manage and the
    bigger the budget, the higher the chance that they will be promoted. This results in raging
    battles around budgets, strategies and operations.

There are many management layers in the organization, thus,
    hindering communication and resulting in slower execution.

Muted level of commitment and enthusiasm teams. Even
    successful results cannot be shared and celebrated due to animosity and internal negative
    competition.

There is a high rate of absenteeism and a high employee
    turnover rate.

To quote Gandhi: "Be the change you want to see.” The most powerful leaders are almost
    always the role models for the change they seek. If the CEO practices bad politics, no
    amount of training or coaching will change the management team.

There are newer employer reviews for Illumina