There are newer employer reviews for Illumina

Long journey

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Young culture, can be fun, lots of potential, on site gym, cafeteria, nice amenities

Cons

No work life balance, getting more bureaucratic

Most management are nice and have good intentions. Planning dept needs to get their act together

140 Other Employee Reviews for Illumina (View Most Recent)

Let my experience at this company serve as a warning to prospective employees

I worked at Illumina full-time

Pros

- The iCafe was nice
    - Many good colleauges (vast majority of them have walked btw)
    - Arguably an industry leader for this field
    - Anywhere else you will go you will be better treated by comparison

Cons

I was an employee who had much exposure to Illumina worldwide and got to know the ins and outs of the organization down to a T. As a result, the more I learned and developed my skills, the more I fell into the trap of what is now known as the horrible company company politics that plague this organization. This company does not praise innovation nor does it appreciate any attempts at process improvements. Blatant politics aside, the reason for this is mostly because process improvements will point out many reduncies that are in the form of a heavy management structure and outdated procedures, and trust me they have a lot to lose by having this pointed out.

Middle-management in my experience proved to be very hyper-political, extremely incompetent, unreasonably demanding, antagonistic, and blame-oriented. It was worse in the overseas offices, with very notable HR issues with management that any normal publicly traded company would fix right away. Company goes so far as to drive out unwanted “outsiders” in very unethical ways with methods not at all based on evaulating an employee's performance. This was reported to upper management but with no avail. So much for the official “openness” policy, as me being open to management about these kinds of happenings with me and my team led to worse treatment and no guidance or accountability on their part.

Overall and globally I will never give Illumina a good endorsement as a place to work and wouldn’t even wish that environment to someone I disliked, as this place was intolerable and torture to work in. I personally had commendations on my record and received extra compensation only in the form of the occasional “atta boy,” at the cost of sacrificing my personal life and time at all hours of the day/night/weekend/holidays. More often then not, I was very rudely and unprofessionally treated. Communications in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS and bolded DEMANDING why you did not deliver “x” item yet are the norm here…never mind keeping people in the loop, being short on resources, working 12+ hour days, being stretched too thin, as that does not matter here to the antagonistic management and sales groups. Company saves money in the form of keeping a lean staff, yet throws over the top parties at headquarters, pays tens of millions to a very un-involved and ethically bankrupt upper management team. Let’s not forget the huge margins on the products and services, as that is no secret. Anything other than a "yessa yessa" at all hours of the day and or night (literally I would get calls in the middle of the night) will get you in hot water.

To put it in perspective for any future prospective bright eyed and bushy tailed workers who are considering Illumina as a place to work: You will see process improvement, resource allocation, reward/incentives for good work and overall respect for employees about as often as you would see a unicorn. Stay away because despite the fact that this place experienced fast growth, the greed and lack of professional leadership of the organization is what is shining through now internally and externally, and it vastly overshadows its previous “pioneering” reputation.

Turnover rate is the highest I have ever seen in my career. The only department that gets rewarded on a consistent basis is sales. In all other departments people are treated like objects that are to be used to make a quota and nothing more.

To executive management: Your lack of ability to properly lead an organization has created an unbearable work environment and as a result you are driving away/have ousted most of your competent employees. If you have any semblance of perception and care half as much as I did about this organization, you will seriously revamp mid to upper management and actually allocate resources to the departments that need it, instead of say…throwing gaudy Christmas parties at “trendy” hotels or sending a sales team to the Caribbean for teambuilding while other departments who support such endeavors with 12+ hour workdays are only told by toxic managers that they are lucky to be working (FYI, this misallocation of incentives was the only form of efficient global cohesion I saw with this company).

Worst...

Current Employee - Senior FSE
    Current Employee - Senior FSE

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Excellent technology
    Leader on the market

Cons

-very toxic environment !!!!!!!!!
    -no salary reviews( if ou don't count 1-2%)
    -lower management needs improvement immediately

-read employee's reviews

There are newer employer reviews for Illumina

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!