There are newer employer reviews for Illumina

Unlike any company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The technology is awesome but even that is being tarnished by the poor quality in recent years. Initially you will be very excited and impressed with the "energy" of the company, but slowly you will realize that the energy is really chaos. You will question how you are able to work in such a crazy, disfunctional environment. It's not just a challenge to work at Illumina, it's a work triathalon that will end up breaking you down mentally and physically. This in turn will more than prepare you for any future job challenges.

Cons

I will never forget my time at Illumina because I have never worked for such a horrible company in my life. It was all about the bottom line and anything else such as quality, process improvements, treating folks with respect and encouraging a healthy work life balance took a back seat. I noticed that during this recession the mid and upper management that were a part of the "good ole boys and gals club" often received promotions, and executives paychecks seemed to grow an a very inflated rate while the common workers barely got a cost of living increase and saw their restricted stock plummet in value. I am only mentioning this because if the company bottom line is not doing well (there was a layoff recently), why are the executives getting a fatter paycheck and why are you building newer facilities?

The technology needs to be taken to the next level and you need mid-managers that know what they are doing and will treat your everyday worker with respect. Probably best that you merge with another company that can help you get the technology into the healthcare setting because you certainly won't be able to do it with your current management.

140 Other Employee Reviews for Illumina (View Most Recent)

Illumina Experience

Former Employee - Director  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is good; nice building; great technology; CEO approachable

Cons

Some ineffective execs including VP HR, SVP GM Life Sciences (not to be trusted) and horrendous work/life balance

sell to Roche

Constantly aiming towards a moving target

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Im proud to have Illumina on my resume. This is a fast paced, do or die, sink or swim, you better keep up type of company. To be the leader in anything- you have to fight hard to make sure you remain on top so understand that there are a lot of high expectations. The people who work here are intelligent and very friendly. The dress code is business casual- which is awesome. The campus is beautiful.

Cons

Did I mention it's fast paced with high expectations? You're going to have a large workload with the expectations to get it done- you're working 40 hours a week? Then youre not working enough and trust me, sooner or later it will show. We tend to come up with great ideas to solve the severe lack of structure- but we can never seem to sustain. We work in silos too much just trying to get our jobs done and keep up with the high demands. You want to take time off? Psh! Vacation means just stopping your work, letting the mountain grow only to come back to a bigger mess. If you're not consistently being proactive- vacations aren't worth it.

Do not forget where you came from on Towne Center and before- you need every single individual that is working for you. Remember that open, "we're all on the same team" moral? You're slowly losing it- be careful not to turn into just another corporate company. Keep alive one of the biggest reasons we all wanted to be here.... But I do like your new executive wing!

There are newer employer reviews for Illumina

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!