Illumina

www.illumina.com

Unlike any company I've ever worked for

(Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe technology is awesome but even that is being tarnished by the poor quality in recent years. Initially you will be very excited and impressed with the "energy" of the company, but slowly you will realize that the energy is really chaos. You will question how you are able to work in such a crazy, disfunctional environment. It's not just a challenge to work at Illumina, it's a work triathalon that will end up breaking you down mentally and physically. This in turn will more than prepare you for any future job challenges.

ConsI will never forget my time at Illumina because I have never worked for such a horrible company in my life. It was all about the bottom line and anything else such as quality, process improvements, treating folks with respect and encouraging a healthy work life balance took a back seat. I noticed that during this recession the mid and upper management that were a part of the "good ole boys and gals club" often received promotions, and executives paychecks seemed to grow an a very inflated rate while the common workers barely got a cost of living increase and saw their restricted stock plummet in value. I am only mentioning this because if the company bottom line is not doing well (there was a layoff recently), why are the executives getting a fatter paycheck and why are you building newer facilities?

Advice to Senior ManagementThe technology needs to be taken to the next level and you need mid-managers that know what they are doing and will treat your everyday worker with respect. Probably best that you merge with another company that can help you get the technology into the healthcare setting because you certainly won't be able to do it with your current management.

Illumina Experience

Director (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Pay is good; nice building; great technology; CEO approachable Cons: Some ineffective execs including VP HR, SVP GM Life Sciences… Advice to Senior Management: sell to Roche No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Constantly aiming towards a moving target

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina

Pros: Im proud to have Illumina on my resume. This is a fast paced, do or die, sink or swim, you better keep up type… Cons: Did I mention it's fast paced with high expectations? You're going to have a large workload with the expectations to get it done- you're working… Advice to Senior Management: Do not forget where you came from on Towne Center and before- you need every single individual that is working for you. Remember that open,… More
There are newer reviews on Illumina.

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!