Illumina

www.illumina.com

The company gives out a strong "holier than thou" vibe but could use a reality check.

(Former Employee)

ProsHot technology, hands down leader in the market right now. Plenty of opportunity to learn new things. Revenue and cash flow have been good, and the company now has some weight to throw around. This means good facilities, infrastructure, growth. Good upward mobility and perks, but only for certain departments (Sales and Marketing are definitely living it up here). Company offers a preferred stock plan, good benefits overall.

Cons1. You really need to be ready to drink the proverbial Cool Aid here and show maximum enthusiasm for whatever that gets put forward as a product, policy, or initiative. If you don't - you're not a team player and your career outlook will suffer greatly. And the middle management is the worst in this respect. Not all, but way too many are caught up in this cheer-leading as a way to hide their own deficiencies.
2. The company is extremely disorganized! It drives you crazy, because this is what's causing the overwhelming work load that others here have mentioned. Sure, the fast evolving technology/market will throw curve balls at you all the time, but the management treats this as something to be proud of (ala 'we like it this way because it makes us innovative and flexible') rather than trying to organize things a little bit better. But who cares about inefficiencies when you've got no competition, right?
 3. Poor access to information about company's products, both released and in-development. Combined with really fast product turnarounds, this means you're always frantically looking for the most up to date info. Unlike points 1 and 2, this is something the management has tried to address, but so far with limited success.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome down from the clouds

Innovative. Embrace Change, Move Quickly. Open philosophically.

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros: Compensation packages are good. Buildings are amazing. Events are fun.… Cons: None that I can think of. Advice to Senior Management: None. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Strong Values and dedicated to making great products.

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros: Very innovative company and very open -- both physically and philosophically. They really… Cons: There isn't a lot of downside to this company. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Illumina.

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!