There are newer employer reviews for Illumina

One of the best companies to work for in San Diego

Current Employee - Development Manager  in  San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Development Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bleeding edge technology in a field that has huge growth potential and the company is the market leader. Work on something that will actually impact human health and understanding.

The senior management has a proven record of guiding the company through many strategic decisions and is still positioned really well in the market.

Campus is amazing, possibly the best in San Diego (beach volleyball, basketball, soccer, gym, amphitheater, koi ponds, cafe, Starbucks) and is being expanded with even more amenities.

Software is becoming a key part of the overall strategy and there are tons of interesting projects and opportunities. Great place for talented software engineers. Lots of interesting "Big Data" problems that don't involve 140 character messages...

Cons

As most companies that have such extreme growth there are plenty of growing pains, but there are also plenty of opportunities. Departments that are cost centers don't get enough support, but this is not unusual.

Layoff late in 2011 probably sparked more negative reviews than the company deserves. I've personally never been approached for weekend work, again this could be different in other departments, but this is 1600+ person company.

Internal systems are sub-par and under-staffed.

Re-invest in your employees and internal systems for the next 10 years...

141 Other Employee Reviews for Illumina (View Most Recent)

A challenging but rewarding place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Illumina full-time

Pros

Great co-workers
    Fast-paced environment to keep you from getting bored
    Great technology
    What we do is helping change the world

Cons

The fast-paced growth over the last decade has caused many gaps in business processes. So, we are trying to build our infrastructure while using small scale processes.

Look for and ask for the gaps and invest in ways to build the sustainable business practices.

Terrible experience I will never let happen in my career again

Former Employee - Anonymous Ops  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Ops in San Diego, CA

I worked at Illumina full-time for more than a year

Pros

- nice facilities
    - many capable colleagues throughout the years

Cons

- Career advancement is non-existent unless you play ridiculous games and are a political backstabber. Actual work performance and quality get you nowhere at this company
    - Chaotic and disorganized as a company, and they are proud of it
    - Over-rewarded executive and sales teams to the point of lewd extravagance, while all other departments struggle and are treated harshly
    - Very arrogant attitude and overall corporate culture. They act as if you are lucky to be with them, hence they get to treat you like a thing
    - World renowned terrible middle management. By terrible I mean how they treat people, their competence levels, political acuity, and overall professionalism. To say they are a joke is an understatement
    - Terrible upper management that perpetuates a horrible environment to suite their (mostly financial) needs, and not the needs of the company or employees as a whole. Working for them is a career stopper

Your work force resents you and the terrible decisions you have made. The gross misallocation of incentives and advancement is apparent. You need to seriously mind your employees who have worked their tails off to give you a seven figure salary and reach the $1billion+ mark. You have not done this, and as a result, you have lost the vast majority of your top talent in 2011. Suites you right.

There are newer employer reviews for Illumina

Worked for Illumina? Contribute to the Community!