There are newer employer reviews for Illumina

Dreadful experience due to management.

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Compensation is good, don't know about benefits

Cons

Heavy Micro Management. To many levels of supervisors, managers, directors. Terrible employee onboarding.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Cutting edge and exciting!!!

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

-Latest, greatest and coolest technology. -Flat level hierarchy – your voice is heard. -Great perks and facilities.

Cons

Growing pains and lack of structure as the company grows.

Advice to Management

Keep allowing your employees to speak up and have their voice heard to grow and strengthen the company.

If the company had any respect for my profession, I'd love to work there

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Illumina as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting technology, great business "space" to be in Lots of smart people as worker-bees Awesome campus good place for someone who in the scientific part of the biz

Cons

My comments mirror many of the others....this company spends its money on the people who are developing the technology - the chemical, genetic end of the house is difficult to staff, and Illumiina works hard to find and attract talent to that area BUT the rest of the business suffers as a result. Business process infrastructure and systems are old; documentation is bloated, poorly managed, delivery of information is neither nimble nor scaleable. Current systems - like SalesForce - are so poorly implemented their use is avoided. Software is old and cobbled. There is little project managment (ya know, a schedule, critical path, risks, a goal..?), and I was a little amazed at the arrogance of some people who insist on ignoring best practices..

Advice to Management

This place needs a PMO office yesterday. Perhaps its acquistion by Roche will help push it into reality. My other advice would be to reconsider the grandfathered position bestowed on staff. The place uses a lot of contract workers. Good contract talent seems to be sacraficed and less productive staff remains. Bad for long-term health of the org. (See: teacher's union; tenure).