There are newer employer reviews for Illumina

Experience that is comparable to that of a nightmare

I worked at Illumina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top performer financially in the industry. Genomics is a great field to get into as the technology develops and there will be an ever increasing demand worldwide.

Cons

Trying my best not to sound like another “disgruntled” employee, there are very serious and legitimate work issues and experiences I had with this company. As far as a workplace goes, a one star review is appropriate for Illumina. My time at there can be best described as torture and unbearable, with treatment being terrible and outright unfair and unethical. As a place to work, it is the absolute worst I have seen, and I am no stranger to tough, high expectation environments. Little reward with unreasonable expectations where your ability to make political alliances matters 100%, and work and quality are not even considered. 72 hours a week or so and no work life balance is requested of you as standard operating procedure. Be prepared to be abused for the privilege of working 72 hours a week, as working that much (or more) for this company gains you nothing unless you are a part of the popularity management clique. Most of the mid level managers do not know the industry and are encouraged to push their employees to the breaking limit, rather than foster and reinforce teamwork and quality work. Executive staff at this company are amongst some of the most despicable human beings I have ever met (meaning zero ethics, no consideration of their employees, only concerned with making numbers, no care for quality of work, end products, customer satisfaction, or employee treatment).

As a side note at the mid level, be prepared to deal with no one ever willing to take responsibility for their own work, or no one ever willing to make a decision and stand by it for fear of repercussions from above.

Don’t be fooled by the recent influx of five star reviews. Illumina HR is coming in here and posting fake positive reviews. They are using buzzwords from the Illumina Core Values and other Illumina HR documentation. One review before this one says to pass this place up…and I couldn’t agree more.

Advice to Management

You should have let Roche acquire you if not for the sake of creating some operational stability and foresight. Greed of management is really the only thing that is clearly showing through, and as a result company is not doing as good as it has before.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Very good experience and great team!

Current Employee - Field Applications Scientist
    Current Employee - Field Applications Scientist

I have been working at Illumina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is very innovative so you never feel bored learning the same products...the team is very interactive and great support. The company offers high salary and compensations, and there are lots of trainings on place.

Cons

The management team is not very present on the field and there are too many call meetings and huge amount of admin work. The FAS position is pretty much "Do Everything in 1 job" and the trainings tend to be done too late which brings frustrations in front of the customers.

Advice to Management

Be more present on the field with the FAS mainly on hot situations and separate the role clearly between FAS and FSE...More staffs meetings could also be nice and individual meeting once a month would be beneficial.

Dreadful experience due to management.

I have been working at Illumina

Pros

Compensation is good, don't know about benefits

Cons

Heavy Micro Management. To many levels of supervisors, managers, directors. Terrible employee onboarding.